Smog Pump Delete

89-GT-Fox

Oct 11, 2014
I have installed aftermarket headers and off-road H-pipe on my 89 GT. I removed the cluster of hoses at the rear of the smog pump. I then placed a pipe cap on the metal pipe near the rear of the passenger cylinder head. My question is (1) Do i need to plug the outlet of the smog pump until i can afford the pump-delete idler bracket? (2) Do i still need the air tube that runs down to the H-pipe or can i crimp the outlet on the H-pipe or just weld it to seal it?

• Sponsors (?)

I have installed aftermarket headers and off-road H-pipe on my 89 GT. I removed the cluster of hoses at the rear of the smog pump. I then placed a pipe cap on the metal pipe near the rear of the passenger cylinder head. My question is (1) Do i need to plug the outlet of the smog pump until i can afford the pump-delete idler bracket? (2) Do i still need the air tube that runs down to the H-pipe or can i crimp the outlet on the H-pipe or just weld it to seal it?

You do NOT want the pump delete idler bracket. Simply buy a shorter Serp belt and route around the smog pump. You do not need the air tube on your H pipe, crimp and weld as you mentioned.

Not all engines will be the same. Best way to do it is to take a string and run it around the pullies that are still in use and measure the string. I got it correct the first time however you may need to do this a time or two before getting it right. You could drive your car to the auto parts store and do this in the parking lot.

Trick for me now is figuring out how to do this with only an ALT, WP & crank pulley.

Not all engines will be the same. Best way to do it is to take a string and run it around the pullies that are still in use and measure the string. I got it correct the first time however you may need to do this a time or two before getting it right. You could drive your car to the auto parts store and do this in the parking lot.

Trick for me now is figuring out how to do this with only an ALT, WP & crank pulley.
Use a standard rotation w/p (I think they were on the crown vic/ mark VII). I did that on the Hoopty 1.0 when the 302 was still in it. That way, all accessories have the same rotation. If you dig up the thread, I may even have the belt size listed in there.

What belt do i need for that bottom right setup

No ac or smog

Thanks

Run a string around your accessories that you are keeping and measure it. We cannot give you a magic number that will work the same for every person every time. What works for some has not worked for others.

Reactions: 1 user
O i have a stock 88 gt car

No one has there belt size i can get who have same car and same setup i am trying to achieve

This is the belt that worked for me when I eliminated my A/C and move my PS pump up to the A/C location and no smog pump.
IMAG2056.jpg

Use a standard rotation w/p (I think they were on the crown vic/ mark VII). I did that on the Hoopty 1.0 when the 302 was still in it. That way, all accessories have the same rotation. If you dig up the thread, I may even have the belt size listed in there.

I read through most of that thread and didn't see the info. Maybe I missed it. I bought a standard (clockwise) rotation WP for an 81 Crown Vic (oriellys #cp4052) which replaces the old wp651 water pump. Question I have now is what WP pulley do I run? I'd like one that is ribbed. Is there an off the shelf pulley I can get? I do not want to run a dummy pulley to keep my CCW pump.

My ac smog and ps are all still in their stock location

Is that ok i can still run a shorter belt and still go around these ok like in that picture right?

The bottom right picture where it shows the PS pump still hooked up has the belt running over the top of the tensioner. This will be tricky to do and I don't recommend it. The stock tensioner is designed to push down, not pull up.

My $.02, get the FRPP a/c delete kit that relocates the PS pump up and your stock tension pulley will work as it was intended. It costs about $35 and worth it.