Brakes Sn 95 disc brake conversion

Blue85

Dec 25, 2020
Florida
Ok so moving on from my booster issues. I am ready to get the brakes going. I got a complete set up off a sn95. I installed a booster offa 93 cobra and plan on using the stock 95 Pv. i have not decided on the MC yet. My question is can I run the stock fox brake lines or do I need to upgrade? And what parking brake cables do you recommend?

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks to Mustang5L5

Yep read that a couple of times. good info but all I got is where the break cables came from not which ones I need and didn’t see anything on the lines. Very possible I missed it. I am not a very good reader after a while my eyes get rolling around in my head and I’m gone

Yep read that a couple of times. good info but all I got is where the break cables came from not which ones I need and didn’t see anything on the lines. Very possible I missed it. I am not a very good reader after a while my eyes get rolling around in my head and I’m gone
I also get lost in that thread. Following.

I’ll try to answer what I’ve learned as I’ve been collecting parts for this swap as well.
From what I understand the Fox front brake lines will attach to SN95 calipers, only with the addition of one small adapter on the passenger side https://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM-Brake-fitting-adapter-1994-04-Mustang-brakes-on-FOX-P730.aspx

The rear lines, from what I’ve read have to be shortened and re-flared to fit properly. Or.... MM makes a kit to replace your axle lines that will fit with the sn95 rear calipers

My ‘86 master cylinder set up is different from the newer ones, I believe, so not sure on that part, but hopefully my other info helps!

I wouldn't use the SN95 prop valve on your car. It creates more headaches than it's worth since the SN95 prop valve went metric, and I believe bubble flare. Use your original combo valve, and just gut it and install the prop valve plug.

The MC depends on what brakes you are actually using. 94-98 GT? 99-04 GT? 94-98 Cobra? 99-04 Cobra? Once you pick the MC, you can pick the appropriate brake line conversion from Max Motorsports that will connect your prop valve to the MC

Once you know what MC you will need to match the brake, you can buy the adapter lines here

Brake lines need to match the calipers. MM and other vendors make plenty of options for what to use. I'd list some but unless you specifically state which brake setup you are using, it's easier to wait.

Parking brake cables are these. You'll need two. They connect to all SN95 rear disks

Center cable? I don't believe there is an option for 79-86. I think you are stuck with the OEM cable and handle

I used the MC and Prop Valve from an '01. I did my conversion with the engine out and sourced the MC and PV used from the wreckers. I took about 6" of each of the brake lines from the prop valve (to get the fittings). I then simply cut off the OEM fitting and re-flared the stock lines with the metric fitting in place. Bolted it all together and all good. My prop valve came from a car that did not have ABS. These models use a single brake line to the rear end with the same flex hose that connects to the center of the rear axle.

For e-brake cables I used stock 94/95 cables. I picked up and modified a parking brake handle from an '01 to get the correct tensioner and center cable on the e-brake cables. The only mod needed was cut off and move rear mount tab forward 1". Handle is the same in appearance and size as stock Fox ('87-93).

IMG_0551.JPG

'01 handle after mod...

You will need to source or fabricate the front cable mount bracket.

IMG_0442.JPG

Don't need the bracket with the large rivet, just the bracket the holds the front of the cables.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't use the SN95 prop valve on your car. It creates more headaches than it's worth since the SN95 prop valve went metric, and I believe bubble flare. Use your original combo valve, and just gut it and install the prop valve plug.

The MC depends on what brakes you are actually using. 94-98 GT? 99-04 GT? 94-98 Cobra? 99-04 Cobra? Once you pick the MC, you can pick the appropriate brake line conversion from Max Motorsports that will connect your prop valve to the MC

Once you know what MC you will need to match the brake, you can buy the adapter lines here

Brake lines need to match the calipers. MM and other vendors make plenty of options for what to use. I'd list some but unless you specifically state which brake setup you are using, it's easier to wait.

Parking brake cables are these. You'll need two. They connect to all SN95 rear disks

Center cable? I don't believe there is an option for 79-86. I think you are stuck with the OEM cable and handle
ok if I gut the original prop valve is that all I need or do I need an adjustable one in there also?

Got it on the cables

Lastly LMR has complete brake line kits for the 87-93 and a separate kit for the cobras. Whats the difference. Right now all I have are the hard and soft lines to the rear calipers and the union that mounts to the diff. All this is using the parts from the sn95.

ok if I gut the original prop valve is that all I need or do I need an adjustable one in there also?

Got it on the cables

Lastly LMR has complete brake line kits for the 87-93 and a separate kit for the cobras. Whats the difference. Right now all I have are the hard and soft lines to the rear calipers and the union that mounts to the diff. All this is using the parts from the sn95.
I used ‘87-‘93 spindles, calipers and rotors on the front of my ‘86, and the SSBC rear disc conversion kit for the rear discs. SSBC instructions had me gut the stock proportioning valve and use the stock ‘86 MC. I didn’t like the feel and, with advice from this forum, swapped in a MC from an ‘86 Lincoln and added an aftermarket proportioning valve. Much better now.

The difference is the actual lines use. 93 CObras have a 2-port MC so the drivers side front brake line connects to the rear of the prop valve. 87-93 cars have a 3-port MC and the driver's front line connects directly to the MC.

79-86 cars are 2-port MC's so they can't use the 87-93 kits.

There are MC adapter kits for your '85. You just need one of those, and then worry about the soft lines out at the calipers. No need to touch your hard lines unless they need to be replaced

The difference is the actual lines use. 93 CObras have a 2-port MC so the drivers side front brake line connects to the rear of the prop valve. 87-93 cars have a 3-port MC and the driver's front line connects directly to the MC.

79-86 cars are 2-port MC's so they can't use the 87-93 kits.

There are MC adapter kits for your '85. You just need one of those, and then worry about the soft lines out at the calipers. No need to touch your hard lines unless they need to be replaced
That makes good sense to me. Yes I need the hard lines that is what has me asking all the questions about them. I didn’t know if I should go bigger or with another option. So I need to figure out what prop valve I am going to run and order the brake line kit from there. Thank you.

@KRUISR

The barrel the cable rides on also needs to be shaved down to fit under the center console. The picture you show also does not show the e brake handle lock out that is needed on the sn95 brake handle. It was a recall by FORD. It locks the pawl so it doesn't pop loose and release on its own. I like how you cut and moved the rear mounting tab. I went the hard way and modified the elbow rest bracket and drilled a new hole.

Pic from @mustang5L thread...

Screenshot_20210129-230811_Chrome.jpg

Too bad that bracket got expensive. It was $3 or so when I first made that thread. Now it’s $30 or so.

you might be able to find it in a junkyard in an 94-01 manual mustang. It lets you set tension without having to crawl under the car and thread the adjustable rod. I see the bracket installed on a lot of eBay parking brake handles.

doesn’t fit the pre-87 handke though, so didn’t want to confuse to OP

Last edited:
The barrel the cable rides on also needs to be shaved down to fit under the center console. The picture you show also does not show the e brake handle lock out that is needed on the sn95 brake handle. It was a recall by FORD. It locks the pawl so it doesn't pop loose and release on its own. I like how you cut and moved the rear mounting tab. I went the hard way and modified the elbow rest bracket and drilled a new hole.
I simply pulled it from a car a the wreckers, modified the rear mount and installed. No other changes than that. The car was a '00 or '01 if I remember. It must not have had the recall done.

No issues with the arm in 3 years.

I simply pulled it from a car a the wreckers, modified the rear mount and installed. No other changes than that. The car was a '00 or '01 if I remember. It must not have had the recall done.

No issues with the arm in 3 years.

I didn't have an issue with mine either but after seeing the smart guys thread I added that little piece. Had an issue with my convertible during a hurricane. ( Its handle was the same 98 that's in my current car ). I was parked on a sloped driveway and ended up across the court on top of the neighbors flowers and bushes across that court. I honestly don't know what happened but the e brake was applied and the car was in gear. Winds weren't severe enough to do it with a locked brake...and there was no major wind damage anywhere near us. Only thing I can think of is that maybe the brake skipped a few teeth during the wind bustles.

The barrel got ground down because I noticed my center console would shift when I put the brake on. Grinding it down about 1/4 inch solved that. The next one I do I'm going to relocate that rear bracket like you did. The hole is drilled on mine so no real going back.

Ok So ordered the rear cables from LMR. ordered a complete brake line kit from classic tube, ordered a mc for a 94 GT front hoses and some other small parts from MM. They also said I could use my stock 85 PV, just had to swap the guts from the 95 to the 85. As long as I run the same size tires front and rear also used the MM lines that went from the master to the PV.

All this being said If you are starting with nothing, well first off don't just rip everything apart like an animal.... be sure to look and see what complete kits are out there . I think my lack of research and buying little here and a little there ended up costing more in the end.