Progress Thread My centrifugal ppl, how’s this deal?

• Sponsors (?)

Well got the nuts loose on the tie rods but now I can’t get them to drop out of the spindle. Guess I jumped the gun, missed that step!! So damn close to being done now I have to get this done. Just want to get them aligned straighter instead of driving it so towed in, then I’ll let the alignment shop get it all fixed up.

You don't take them out of the spindle. You just turn the inner tie rod in/out to straighten the wheel. The inner tie rod that attaches to the steering rack rotates, so no need to remove the outer tie rod from the spindle.

Reactions: 1 user
No need to remove the tie rod end from the spindle. Yes, it's slightly faster, but you can just put a wrench on the flat on the tie rod inners and turn. That's what they are meant to do.

m5lp_0705_27_z%2b1996_ford_mustang_cobra%2btie_rod.jpg

Note, the wrench is on the jam nut. About 6" away to the right is the flat spot on the tie rod inner you can put a wrench on to turn.

As for getting tie rod ends out of the spindle, I typically back the nut out until it's about 1-2 threads higher than the stud, then put a 6" rachet extension on the stud using the nut to hold it, and give it a nice whack with a hammer. Usually pops them out.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok so after a little adjustment think this is much better. Not 100 percent dialed and aligned but I feel way better about driving this now compared to how bad it was towed in.
6CD02790-6717-4EF5-BE46-3AF158883C6D.jpeg
991D65D7-3517-4064-B336-DFFA5878F48F.jpeg
42063E97-8A60-4BD1-A934-CFCD21233850.jpeg
1A5C917D-8B84-486B-AA19-E415EA421FB6.jpeg
655F6B2B-5EEE-4D5E-BDD4-770FFAFCF923.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
So what did you all do with the new rear lines in regards to the tires and rubbing. Did you all just zip tie the lines in to the lca’s to pull it away from the tires? Also decided to pull all the seats out, give the carpet and seats a scrub and vacuum, wipe and shine all the plastics. My ash tray door is broken, so now I’m deciding whether to replace or go with the new lmr cup holder version, thinking about going cup holders. My seats are beat but want to keep the red carpet, plastics etc just go with black seats. Eventually want to get the Corbeau seats. Has anyone used these or now anything about them, also need to order some floor mats which I’m about to with a few things to start on this motor journey!!
80D05173-B6A8-44E8-87BF-BBB2E2A6DD6D.jpeg
D0A716D8-5204-4186-BD34-51A1BE6BBCD1.jpeg
7BEAC891-CB1D-4CB4-8556-26B6C0C3EC70.jpeg
829836CA-BBA0-4D66-968C-7265D7F7D4D4.jpeg
C863309D-32E4-4D72-8FFB-72999919B2CE.jpeg

Does anyone know what this is suppose to plug into? I can’t remember what it went to it’s near the windshield wiper motor. Also kept thinking what happen to my reservoir, found it in the wheel well, how to I get that to mount?
5C4E84A0-B4B0-421D-B904-D18BC736A351.jpeg
FB4BC959-AD3C-49FB-9BBB-D82D3D8920C1.jpeg

Ok guys need some help, do brake swap is basically done. I also swapped the starter to a mini starter, upgraded the alternator, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. So went to start it up while I still have it on stands and it made this Grindy noise like maybe the starter is on the fly wheel? Idk? It’s not as load on the video but you can hear it. Please let me know what you all think thanks!!

View: https://youtu.be/O9Gsdkrcti8

Mine is a ford starter from a 92, looks like that, works fine, pull it off and show where it hitting, it's possible the solenoid thingy is sticking.
When I ran the new wire I used a jumper to the small post on the starter

Last edited:
Mine is a ford starter from a 92, looks like that, works fine, pull it off and show where it hitting, it's possible the solenoid thingy is sticking.
Cool I’ll have to give that a go tomorrow afternoon. It’s loud and sounds ugly once it cranks on and running. I’ll post some stuff tomorrow thanks for the input, appreciate it.

The first time i went mini starter i had an issue where the starter would stay engaged for a while after starting.

The way i fixed it was by putting the big starter wire on the same side as the battery wire on the stock solenoid and running the small wire to the other post of the solenoid.

I found that if its run directly to the red/blue stripe ignition wire it will stay engaged too long....grinding on the flywheel.

Check your wiring..

The first time i went mini starter i had an issue where the starter would stay engaged for a while after starting.

The way i fixed it was by putting the big starter wire on the same side as the battery wire on the stock solenoid and running the small wire to the other post of the solenoid.

I found that if its run directly to the red/blue stripe ignition wire it will stay engaged too long....grinding on the flywheel.

Check your wiring..
So I believe that’s how I have it set up on mine. I have big starter cable and everything else etc to the left side post and then just the small red cable that runs from the starter solenoid to the fender solenoid which is by itself on the right post.
037F988D-0935-44E7-A2A7-6093B55A5F37.jpeg