SN95 electric fan onto Foxbody... easy install?

HaynStang

Dec 16, 2006
Portland
I just bought a '96 Mustang GT electric fan off ebay. Will this be a good fit on my '91 5.0's radiator? It looks like the shroud is pretty big so I'm hoping it will cover my radiator pretty well.

My main question though, will I be able to retain my stock coolant overflow bottle? What will I need to do to bolt it up to the '96 stang fan shroud?

Secondly, what's the best way to mount the fan to the radiator? I don't want to use through-radiator style ties at all if I can avoid it. I've seen too many people have them cause leaks and I don't wanna risk killing an expensive radiator.

I was thinking maybe I could get some flat or angle aluminum from Lowes and make some nice sturdy brackets. Any suggestions?

Hopefully I can figure out how to install this thing in a way that looks clean and stockish without spending a ton of money. If anyone has pics of their e-fan install post them up, even if it's a Taurus/MkVII fan, maybe I can get some ideas from them. :)

• Sponsors (?)

A combination of metal strapping (like some use for hanging exhaust stuff), good ol' aluminum shelving bracket pieces, and/or plastic zip-ties has worked well for me in the past as an alternative to push-through fasteners.

I'm running those stupid push-throughs on my current fan, but I've been meaning to get around to doing it up correctly in the near future ... along with about fifty other little things... :rolleyes:

Sorry, though, I don't have any pics of said setup. :shrug:

Don't use "through core" fasteners. Most electric fans have a nasty "kick" at initial start up, and the whole assy twists, which will cause the through core fasteners to eventually wear a hole in the radiator.

all of their suggestions are pretty good, i'd use the smaller straps that come with generic car stereo install kits. they are plenty strong to hold the bottom of the fan if the top is properly secured. also i don't know of a good way to reuse the overflow. i got a summit brand overflow bottle for about $30 but that was several years ago and it has worked fine since 98. they may be slightly more now.