Snow tires worth getting?

DaveL

Founding Member
May 10, 2001
NYC
I use to take my Dad's Maxima in the Winter anytime it snowed but now he's using it daily so I feel bad taking it. One time I drove the Stang in all-season tires with light snow and it was a nightmare. Would it be useless to get snow tires? I probably won't drive in anything above 3 inches.

If I were to get snow tires I would get Blizzaks in 225/50 17.

• Sponsors (?)

I went with 225s Goodyear Ultragrip Ice snow tires on 16" wheels. I got the cheap FWD steel wheels for winter driving. Looks like crap but they help keep it on the road. I use my Mustang for going to work and park it on weekends during the winter months.

If you have to drive it, get the Blizzaks. I drove my car through last winter (MA-NJ weekly commute) with Blizzaks on the rear. The car handled great and went through the snow without any problems. It's not the depth of the snow you need to worry about; it's the condition of the road; even a dusting will wreak havoc on traction. If you recall last year we had almost weekly snows in January -February. I never had a problem with the Blizzaks (you still need common sense though).

JJ95GTID said:
I went with 225s Goodyear Ultragrip Ice snow tires on 16" wheels. I got the cheap FWD steel wheels for winter driving. Looks like crap but they help keep it on the road. I use my Mustang for going to work and park it on weekends during the winter months.

I'll need the 17's to clear my Cobra brakes.

95 Snake said:
Buy a beater, keeps the stang safe and saves on insurance! I got a Bronco for 700$ , not for everyone though i guess

I would like to get a beater but I live in the city and with the Stang already in a garage I have no place to put a beater.

ej95cobra said:
If you have to drive it, get the Blizzaks. I drove my car through last winter (MA-NJ weekly commute) with Blizzaks on the rear. The car handled great and went through the snow without any problems. It's not the depth of the snow you need to worry about; it's the condition of the road; even a dusting will wreak havoc on traction. If you recall last year we had almost weekly snows in January -February. I never had a problem with the Blizzaks (you still need common sense though).

I worry only about the depth of the snow because I have about 3" of clearance. But mainly I'm not worried about the road conditions as much as I worry about the morons that drive in the snow like it's rain. You also have some SUV drivers that think they invincible and drive like idiots as well.

Id like to comment on my experience with GoodYear LS tires. I live in New Jersey so we get a moderate amount of snow during the winter. With the Good year tires, I was still able to cruise down highways at 70+, in the left lane (the lane least travelled and most of the time snow covered). Not many people passed me and if they did they were in 4x4's. Those tires were great in the snow.

I just put a set of 4 used 17" Dunlop snows which I bought from a guy on the Corral. They were already mounted on a set of Mach 1s.
Hasn't snowed yet, but I used Blizzaks on ten-holes for years on my 90 with great success.
Why park it and drive a POS for 5 months of the year?