So I just picked up some PI heads, what else do I need?

Robs96

Aug 29, 2006
I have just acquired some complete PI heads out of an 02 Crown Vic. I plan to let a machine shop port and polish them. I was not able to get the intake manifold since someone had already taken it. Aside from the obvious of needing a manifold, are there any other parts I will need to complete the swap, and will I need anything done to the computer? Can anyone recommend some cams? I will be trying to get over 300hp and will be adding some other things like headers but I don't want cams that are too radical as I still plan to drive this car often once completed. I am looking to hear from people that have done this before.:nice:

Also just to add, the PI heads I picked up are Romeo and my 96GT block is a Romeo.

• Sponsors (?)

Dont let your normal town, or city machine shop port your heads. Have somebody with modular head experience do them, and make sure you get a valve job. I'd go with oversize valves on the heads.. HP makes custom grinds, VT, Crower, Comp and others make great cams and have custom grinds. I'd go with either a stage 1 or 2 from any of them, talk to them if your not familiar with cam specs and have them reccommend a cam for the setup and desired results you want.

btw, talk to randy out at parkway ford, hes the man on headswaps. Ive dealt with him for about 6 years now and his knowledge, honesty, and parts service is top notch.

300 is going to be a tough mark to get at w/out a power adder. Your going to need a coolant tube (rerouted) and nipple. A lot of gaskets for heads, intake, exhaust, timing chain covers, valve covers. Need a head changing kit, new thermostat and o-ring, heck; here:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=717166

are you talking about the coolant tube, or the heater tube in the valley of the block under the manifold?

I was thinking of nos as a power adder, but, to be honest, I will probably just take the motor out when I do the head swap since I have almost 180k on it. Still rung strong though. I was also thinking of tossing some 4.10's in the back and a full exhaust. The question would be long or short tube headers? Also, do I need to do anything with the computer as far as tuning or should I go with a chip and if so, then which one? I really don't see it as being too terribly difficult to achieve 300 or so hp without the power adder though.

I was thinking of nos as a power adder, but, to be honest, I will probably just take the motor out when I do the head swap since I have almost 180k on it. Still rung strong though. I was also thinking of tossing some 4.10's in the back and a full exhaust. The question would be long or short tube headers? Also, do I need to do anything with the computer as far as tuning or should I go with a chip and if so, then which one? I really don't see it as being too terribly difficult to achieve 300 or so hp without the power adder though.

it will be harder than you think, and LongTubes or nothing. Im not even changing out the headers even with my heads off since i can't legally go LT's.

Short tubes are worthless NA, not worth it. I had them on my P/P headswap car, not worth it.

As far as taking the motor out, thats up to you. I think its more work. Many people years back use to just pull them out real quick to do the headswap and it was somewhat of the norm.

You might want to be real careful on doing a headswap with that many miles. Ive done 2, one with 37,000 miles, the other with 118,000 miles. Cross your "T's" and Dot your "i's", and I would have it tuned before you go WOT on it with that many miles. Good luck doood.

Thats what I'm saying, I would take the motor out and rebuild the bottom end when I get the heads done so that I can save myself some heartache later on. My trans leaks too and probably could use replacement so I might just pull the motor and trans together. I am a very skilled mechanic (lol aren't we all) and there really isn't anything I can't do mechanically. I just have never done a PI head swap, hell, I never owned anything other than Z28's:notnice: until just a few short years ago. I've fixed a lot of Stangs and other cars for side jobs. Now I have two Stang verts and I love 'em despite them not being as fast as any Z I ever owned:nice: . I just want more power and the swap will help, but I want to do it right. Forced induction seems to be the theme but I really don't want to step up to a s/c. I never really planned to do anything with my GT, that was, until these PI heads came available for the price of dirt. Any help is appreciated and thanks to all who responded.