• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SVT Tech Forum

So I replaced my IMRC actuator today

  • Thread starter Thread starter fiveofanatic
  • Start date Start date Jun 10, 2005
F

fiveofanatic

How to fuel a Mustang:
Founding Member
Aug 12, 1998
8,152
0
76
Phoenix, AZ suburbs
Jun 10, 2005
#1
  • Jun 10, 2005
  • #1
That was a fair PITA. I've never had the intake off before, & had never done it while working at Mustang shops back in the day. Book time is about 3.5 hours if I remember, & I was able to just barely beat it. Not bad for 1st attempt.

And no spare fasteners! That's how I judge a successful wrench job, how many bolts I have left over after I think I've finished.

The car has never broken 100mph at the track, but has always driven fine. I've kept up on the standard maintenance stuff, no problems. Maybe two months ago, though, I got a check engine light for a random misfire. Pulled the codes, the fix was new coil packs (& some purty FMS plug wires while I was in there). One of the codes was for IMRC stuck shut. I didn't want to tackle it then, so I cleared the code, & put it on the back burner. My work was finished up about 2 hours before we closed today, so I got a wild hair & checked for codes. Sure enough, one code, IMRC stuck shut. So I ordered up the actuator & gaskets & tore into it.

It's interesting to me that this code will not turn the check engine light on. My guess is that it's because it only affects 3500+ rpm operation. I assume if I had an IMRC stuck open code, that'd throw the light. Maybe not.

The car has about 55,000 miles on it, I bought it in Jan '02 with 36,000 miles. I think the IMRC's have been non-functional for the entire time I've owned the car! It does feel stronger up top now, but I wasn't able to pull codes right after the work, gotta wait for the system monitors to run. I'll check on Monday. I wish I had a camera with me, those secondary intake ports & valves were horrible, massive carbon buildup. I cleaned them out manually as best I could. We have a decarb system at work, I think Monday I'm going to hook it up & run the car at 3,700 for the whole process.
 
C

chrisbudl1

New Member
Dec 21, 2003
436
0
0
springfield MO
Jun 11, 2005
#2
  • Jun 11, 2005
  • #2
I was thinking about cleaning mine, but they seem to be working normally, 109000 miles, gotta have some build up. any extra pointers, for the first time I decide to break her open? if you get a chance, look at my cardomain page. You have my car on your site, but I have alot of newer, better pics. more at home. thanks chris
just trying to show the PGC it's best so far.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
'96 Cobra: A/C gets weak and engine misfires under load when warm
  • jruhnke
  • Oct 22, 2025
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
2
Views
390
SVT Tech Forum Nov 20, 2025
nickyb
D
What's it Worth? 76 Cobra 2
  • dulcimerbob
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
13
Views
336
What is it Worth?!?!? Sep 12, 2026
dulcimerbob
D
Electrical Code 29 again
  • Creomod
  • Jul 31, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
279
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 3, 2026
Creomod
G
Sputtering/misfiring below 2500rpm
  • Godless
  • Sep 14, 2025
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
508
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2025
gkomo
A
Check Engine codes jumping around
  • azactor
  • Jan 9, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
245
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 24, 2026
DadLife0724
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SVT Tech Forum
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?