So, if I wanted to use tri-Y headers with an H-pipe and side exhaust?

Fstbk

Sep 7, 2010
Does anyone know what H-pipe would work best with tri-Y headers? I want side exhaust but I want an H-pipe to make it sound better and the GT350 setup is kinda loud and un-balanced.
I have seen that $700+ system and I think it's overkill, but I think with the proper off the shelf stuff a guy could put one together without needing the muffler shop.

Black Tri-Y's (to save money)
H-Pipe to fit directly onto the Tri-Y's
Mufflers with in/out on the same end.
Curved return pipe for the outlet...(This may require sourcing?)

I am guessing the mufflers would need to be positioned under the rear seat area and then the outlets would need to be on the same end as the inlet....so after the H-pipe I would need an intermediate pipe section, or is there a known H-pipe that would be long enough to place the mufflers where they need to be?

Has anyone put this setup together?

• Sponsors (?)

But aren't those mufflers louder than a cherry bomb? I was wanting more of a Dynomax sound.

Pretty much identical. The "glasspack" is not exactly unique.

View attachment 206669

Good luck getting a Dynomax to fit under the front seat without scraping on the ground.

The the 55-57 Corvette (and 58-62 "off road") was a baffled straight-through 4" round muffler that was less obnoxious than a glasspack, and because they don't depend on glass fiber packing, cannot "blow out" like glasspacks. This, by the way, is why you think Cherry Bombs are loud, because they blow out the sound deadening material.

If you can't bring yourself to order mufflers from a Corvette supplier, get a pair of these:

Smithy's Mufflers

I used the "cherry bomb" glass packs and side exit exhaust like Shelby used from Laurel Mountain.
Laurel Mountain Mustang Parts

Do not buy an H pipe kit. Have the muffler shop install one when the weld the system together. I was charged $130 to weld it up and make/install an H pipe.

Bought the Tri Y also from Laurel
Laurel Mountain Mustang Parts
Fit was ok but did have to massage with a BFH on the #1 cylnder tube to get clearance for shock tower. Painted with high temp paint and they still good