So im thinking of trading the 99 for a fox

deftsound

Please ask me how much my supercharger cost
Apr 6, 2004
Texas City TX
As some of you may know im a huge fan of foxbody mustangs and the allmighty 5.0 and lately ive been really missing my old one because i want a car that i can mod for relatively cheap and expect good gains

I really like my car because, well its newer and more comfortable but at the same time i really miss that 5.0 sleeper look and muscle feel they have

So im torn between keeping my comfortable, newer 99 or trading it for a somewhat rustic feeling clean hatchback that i can make faster for cheaper, plus chances are id be getting some cash in the deal for mod money.

What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

well, im not going to hate on the five-oh, it's a fun car if your a gear head and like putting it on jack stands each weekend. That's not to say it's an unrealiable car, it's just that kind of car. When my dad, bro and I were looking for a 1/4 mile track car it was easy to all agree on the 5.0 cuz it's strong and cheap to mod. We were going to strap a huge single turob and run er untill she blew - but then my bro and i both got acceted to universities:( . I say go for it if your a gear head and don't mind a crankly DD. If u have a diff dd then deffinitly

I had two of them, great cars but they have their negatives also. Brakes suck, trannies suck, they are pretty slow without engine work, ride quality and comfort are really not there compared to sn95, finding one in good condition is hard to come by and expensive.
By the time you spent all money upgrading all the foxbodies short comings you have spent thousands of dollars and you will be lucky to get a 1/4 of that back if you ever decide to sell the car, believe me I know.

I agree, it really depends on what you like more, and what you want out of your mustang. If you want overall performance, reliability and good quality, the '99 is far superior, especially with suspension and braking, and under the hood, with coil-over-plug and numerous other improvements over pre '99 cars.

Myself, I could never go back, '94-'98 maybe, but '99+ is just too superior. But I have the limited and every available option, so maybe I'm a bit biased because I'm pampered with all the goodies. Then again I don't care much for the track, more of a corner burner, so, it really just depends what exactly you want out of the car, then choose the best car for the job ya know. IMO, even if you wanna go to the track every weekend, the 99+ are just as fun, fast and reliable, it's a matter of $$ in the end. Jeez I rant forever...anyways, one last thing, although most wouldn't agree, I have had excellent gains with my '99 for the $ invested, hardly any more cost than any of my old foxes. I prefer the SOHC 4.6 to the 5.0, but hey, that's just me. I like corner burning and top speed, so naturally I prefer the newer car. The 140mph est. top speed for a 99-04 is nonsense, I can personally vouch for 155mph all stock. (Legally and safely!)

:SNSign:

I have owned 5 foxes and Im actually in the market for a 99-04 I want to try something new foxes have there problems like other cars and im tired of working on them :) and a fox can be found for a reasonable price. could you keep both?

Having owned 2 Foxs and now a '99-'04 body style, I would definitely stay with the '99-'04 for me. On my '93 GT, with the exception of a cam, I had full bolt-ons, including aluminum heads, and I was only putting down 245 RWHP on the dyno. If I would have gotten the high rev aluminum heads and Intake Manifold (6,500RPM, instead of the 5,500 RPM I got), and a cam, I probably would have been putting down what my Mach has now for RWHP (295RWHP). To me, powerwise it would be a wash. If you F/I your Mustang, your talking thousands of bucks no matter what body style it is. But that's just me.

I've never been a big fan of fox bodies. I guess my plush Cobra interior, smooth ride (for a Mustang), and racerish extrerior look has spoiled me.

On the other hand, one of my buddies is a HUGE foxbody fan. He even considered trading his 525hp '98 Z28 LS1 Camaro for one. But going fast in a straight line for less $$$ was his main priority.

It all depends on if you want cheap and easy speed or some extra creature comforts.

agree

I am with you deftsound.

Infact, I set out trying to buy a black 87-93 5spd 5.0 LX coupe and after looking for A YEAR I bought this Cobra because I couldn't find one in good shape for under $10K within a 200 mile radius. At that price I figured I had better get something alittle newer.

Things I miss most about my fox:

1) less crappy plastic
2) the postitive "click" the doors make when you close them, not the cheap "thud" all SN95+ stangs make.
3) the killer low end torque, my cobra is a toad off the line.
4) the look, I think they are the best looking Mustangs, very tuff

Things I DONT MISS about my fox:

1) horrible brakes, man those things are bad, did I mention they suck?
2) running hot, mine and my friends always seemed to run hot.
3) squeaks and rattles, I could never get rid of them all.
4) electrical system sucked, lights were dim, alternator underpowered

I have been thinking recently about switching back to one myself. Everything around me is either a rust bucket or the person wants $12K for it though. Get real.

I am with you deftsound.

Infact, I set out trying to buy a black 87-93 5spd 5.0 LX coupe and after looking for A YEAR I bought this Cobra because I couldn't find one in good shape for under $10K within a 200 mile radius. At that price I figured I had better get something alittle newer.

Things I miss most about my fox:

1) less crappy plastic
2) the postitive "click" the doors make when you close them, not the cheap "thud" all SN95+ stangs make.
3) the killer low end torque, my cobra is a toad off the line.
4) the look, I think they are the best looking Mustangs, very tuff

Things I DONT MISS about my fox:

1) horrible brakes, man those things are bad, did I mention they suck?
2) running hot, mine and my friends always seemed to run hot.
3) squeaks and rattles, I could never get rid of them all.
4) electrical system sucked, lights were dim, alternator underpowered

I have been thinking recently about switching back to one myself. Everything around me is either a rust bucket or the person wants $12K for it though. Get real.

:Word:

I think i'll go back to foxes one day, but not until i have the space for a project car. They are great cars for cruising and cheap to mod, but i dont think they make good daily drivers. When i had mine, i had my nissan to drive in snow or for long trips and just used the 5.0 for cruising and summer driving.

Something else to consider might be a 94-95 car. They dont have the rising value/cost of the foxes, but they have the same cheap to modify drivetrain and the better suspension and brakes.

If its gonna be your DD, stick with your 99. Although i've been tempted recently to get a 5.0 and mod it out. My friend has a 331 stroker with exhaust(shorty headers), crappy GT40 heads and cobra intake, stock tb and with a 175 shot, he put down 770 lb pounds of torque with a 17:1 A/F ratio. its tempting to buy a 5.0 especially when there's ALOT of room to grow with his car. If you're going to get one, I'd suggest replacing everything if you mod it. Just buy a blower for your car and forget the 5.0

I love 5.0's, but after owning a 99+, i would never go back to another Fox.

Nothing against them, but the newest ones are 14 years old and most are 100K+ miles and in need of some TLC.

I like my Fox, but i don't think I could buy another