SO looking into a cheap winter beater...what do you guys have??

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I've decided not to sell my GT and just keep it and buy a beater/commuter car.

NO trucks. I can't drive trucks, they just aren't my type of vehicle. Only truck/SUV i would want is a jeep wranger

I want something cheaper (up to $3000) but still new(mid to late 90's) and reliable. I have seen some decent cars. Ford Focus's, Pontiac Bonneville SSei's, 96+ Lincoln Continentals, Subaru 2.5 RS's for cheap.

Ideas for something fun?? Must be AWD or at least FWD and have some sort of power. Right now i like the idea of a supercharged bonneville. :)

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah if i didn't have to deal with snow and a 50mile/day commute to work, i'd drive the GT. I don't want to put miles on it even though a new 4.6L Mustang is an awesome highway commuter with stock gearing.

I want something cheap that i can just pay cash and call it a day. I don't have any car payments and i'd like to keep it that way. Plus i'd own 3 cars at that point.

I'm kinda liking the idea of a bonneville with the supercharged 3.8L. Only 225HP stock, but a smaller pulley can fix that :)

i have a 95 ranger 2WD, a 94 Olds 88, and an 03 Xterra 4WD. the olds is a great beater and they can be had for cheap!!

i'm actually thinking about selling my Olds. i'll trade you the car w/ 160K on it for a set of manley pistons and rings...

I actually discovered Lincoln Continentals can be had fairly cheap. There's an idea. 4.6L DOHC, FWD, decent looks. I'm just concerned about "lincoln disease". I owned a Mark 8, and it had electrical probs and air suspension probs

im in the same exact situation with the same exact restrictions/desires in basically the same exact area. ive been SCOURING for a decent wrangler around $2000-$2500. i want one so bad for the snow.

ive been looking at the same price range to pay cash with no payments and minimum insurance for a few months now.

i cant settle on any vehicle, but i think ill end up with a cherokee. its 4x4 with plenty of space for my tools, and they are going for that $$ range with mileage i can live with.

I was in the same situation a few years back. I didn't want to continue putting 24,000 a year on the 03. So I picked up a 95 YJ for $2500. I use it as my winter dd and it's great in the snow.

Yeah if i didn't have to deal with snow and a 50mile/day commute to work, i'd drive the GT. I don't want to put miles on it even though a new 4.6L Mustang is an awesome highway commuter with stock gearing.

I want something cheap that i can just pay cash and call it a day. I don't have any car payments and i'd like to keep it that way. Plus i'd own 3 cars at that point.

I'm kinda liking the idea of a bonneville with the supercharged 3.8L. Only 225HP stock, but a smaller pulley can fix that :)

I believe the Bonneville is actually 260 hp stock, I know the Grand Prix GTP is and they have the same engine and s/c. The NA 3.8 is 200 hp.

My mom and dad have had several Bonneville's, no SSEi though. They are nice cars, it was Pontiac's attempt to compete with the upscale cars but did not come even close. I did test drive a Grand Prix GTP in 2000, its not even close to what a Mustang can do but not bad for what they are.

My wife and I were in the same situation and ended up getting a 1996 Volvo GLS wagon for $4,200 in very good shape. They are reported to go 300K easily with regular maintenance.

We didn't get the turbo model, but I am sure for 4K and some looking you could get a very nice 220 hp FWD T-5 sedan that is great in the snow and very comfortable. Being Turbo it is very easy to turn up the wick and have some fun.

Good luck,

Matt

im in the same exact situation with the same exact restrictions/desires in basically the same exact area. ive been SCOURING for a decent wrangler around $2000-$2500. i want one so bad for the snow.

ive been looking at the same price range to pay cash with no payments and minimum insurance for a few months now.

i cant settle on any vehicle, but i think ill end up with a cherokee. its 4x4 with plenty of space for my tools, and they are going for that $$ range with mileage i can live with.

OT, but were you behind me on Broadway, Revere a couple weeks ago??

Oh i forgot to add is that another criteria i need is Automatic only. Reason being my sister may borrow the car from time to time as she is carless since she's in college and she cant drive stick.

I've found some pretty decent cars already, but all 5-spds :(

Taurus are cheap, but i'm not big on their style. I want something at least somewhat eye appealing or sporty. That's why i'm reserving cars such as a civic, taurus, camry, corolla until the end after i exhaust the "cooler" choices.

Right now if i can find a decent Bonneville SSei i'd go for that, but i'd really like a wrangler first and foremost.

OT, but were you behind me on Broadway, Revere a couple weeks ago??

OT i could have been. sometimes im oblivious when im driving if im really into the song im listening too, lol. did i have a few hot bitches in the car with me? if yes, then no, it wasnt me.

pretty funny we are in the same boat and probably a mile away from each other. actually i think i saw your car parked in a driveway, and i also saw an old 5.0 parked on the street and i was led to believe that was your hizzy. you live by the cemetary near the 4 stop intersection? i live 2 minutes from there.

back on topic,

we'll have to get a DD beater cruise going when we get our beaters. for whatever i end up with, im definitely getting some plastic $30 spinner hubcaps, and making a crazy spoiler out of wood, lol.

it was this.
DSCN1500.jpg

but it died. Something about 239,000 miles and driving 90 miles a day on the interstate at 70mph just didn't work out. But now I have a 99 grand prix gt. Its a nice car decent power and has every option so it makes the drive nicer.

Attachments

• DSCN1500.jpg
    DSCN1500.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 68