Someone told me that catted Midpipes make more power then O/R midpipes..fact or myth?

Craig Mack

Busted Buffing the Bishop
Founding Member
Mar 9, 2002
Lake Mary, FL
I was having a discussion with someone with a 2k1 Cobra, who has a bassani catted X-pipe and catback. He said that the catted midpipes make significantly more power than offroad ones, because our engines run off backpressure. I about fell off my chair at first, but decided to ask you guys since I am a newbie with this engine. It just doesn't make since to me though.

So, catted mid pipes make better power then o/r ones...fact or fiction?

• Sponsors (?)

Craig Mack said:
I was having a discussion with someone with a 2k1 Cobra, who has a bassani catted X-pipe and catback. He said that the catted midpipes make significantly more power than offroad ones, because our engines run off backpressure. I about fell off my chair at first, but decided to ask you guys since I am a newbie with this engine. It just doesn't make since to me though.

So, catted mid pipes make better power then o/r ones...fact or fiction?

I believe there are several tuners in your general area, I would ask them. I would say No Cats make more RWHP than Catted, IF tuned accordingly (Chipped). :nice:

More likely than not, it's just fiction.
If anything, the logic from "back in the day" used to say that off-road pipes made more power than catted pipes.
However, there really isn't much of a difference nowadays IMHO; off-road and catted aftermarket midpipes are very close to each other in terms of performance gains (when talking about the SAME BRAND here - IE - catted Xpipe by MANUFACTURER "A" Vs offroad X pipe also by MANUFACTURER "A").
Today's catalytic converters flow extremely well and "yesterday's logic" is pretty much null & void. The one example where you might see more gains with an offroad pipe today, will probably come on a supercharged application. Here, you might see more gains from the off-road midpipe once you start making serious power (because of less restriction in the exhaust).
If you are making natural aspiration motor comparisons, it's a pretty moot point...blah.

My .02

Someone did a test where he dynoed his car with the o/r pipe and then welded in 2 carsound cats(the cats that magnaflow uses) and there was only like 1-2 hp difference between the two with the catted pipe making the lesser...So pretty much, if it has high flow cats on it you aren't going to lose much...

Thanks for the replies guys. I know that with todays technology catalyst converters can be made to flow very well, but what made me make this post is the person whom I was talking to said that catted midpipes make significantly more power than offroad pipes becuase the engines run off backpressure. The replies i've gotten here seem to make a lot more sense.

Just as example I'll use my old set up of the MAC O/R H-Pipe vs. a Dr. Gax X-Pipe w/Cats.

Keep in mind this is a X vs. H and O/R vs. Cats so it may or may no apply to your comparo. The better test or just to be fair should be a SAME BRAND product.

Here a a Dyno Graph of the MAC O/R H-Pipe:

D4.jpg

Here is a Dyno of the Dr. Gas X w/Cats:

Re-Print%20Dyno.jpg

I think that TXsnakecharmer conducted a test with a MAC Pro-Chamber pipe with and then added the Cats but I'm not 100% sure.

Just my .02

Naz