Something I Stumbled Onto (an abbreviated II buyers' guide)

• Sponsors (?)

I'm nerdy enough to have found and read this before but was fun to read thru again.
There is another one, where a guy buys a mutt2 and drives several states home in a 3 or 4 part article.

I'm nerdy enough to have found and read this before but was fun to read thru again.
There is another one, where a guy buys a mutt2 and drives several states home in a 3 or 4 part article.
Yeah, that was supposed to turn into a long-term magazine project car, but all of the car magazines have pretty much collapsed.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed!
Car magazines (hot rods and muscle cars type) today are just a pitiful shell of their former self. They really have no relevance any more. New cars are plug and play, a lot of older cars are out of the realm and price of people who would work on them themselves...
I really have no desire to see some 350,000 dollar car that some jackwad paid to have built for him, or an article on how to plug in the tuner on your new car and press some buttons. I would rather see how to rebuild a top loader transmission, or tuning your Holley carb, or even upgrading to fuel injection.

Maybe I'm just getting old...

While I'm at it these "street" racer shows are a joke also. If I wanted to see full on promods race I can go to any race day at any strip. I'm not into promods though. I am into street cars. These cars on these shows are not street cars in any way shape or form. ..maybe with the exception of farm truck and dung beetle.

Now I see they have moved their races to the track and called them no prep. So what has this got to do with street cars now?
Maybe I'm just getting old.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the street race shows, I'm not a big fan of them either. They are definitely staged - I mean how in the hell could they take those cars just barely out of town or into some industrial complex, race them on a street and NOT have cops find them? I think I watched one or two episodes and said nah....

I did, however, watch an episode of Fastest Cars in the Dirty South or something like that over the weekend. It seemed like a more legit show....? I was only watching it because they were bringing a Mustang "back to life" or something, but they were full on race cars that they took to an actual track and grudge raced. I may check that show out a little more just to see what it's all about. Otherwise I stick to "restoration" and modification shows if I watch them, but even some of them get under my skin.....

But the internet has all but killed magazines. You can Google whatever you want to find out, like say tuning a Holley carburetor, and find answers in a split second. If you want to see a nice build I think forums and even Facebook takes those away. That doesn't leave a lot for magazines to offer....