Sound Quality With Open Air Subs

• Sponsors (?)

StygianStang said:
What kind of sound quality will i get if i were to remove the rear seats, and install the subs in the back with no enclosure? Is it recommended? Thanks again for your help guys and gals.

Pepper

It can be done. There are three main things you need to do.

First: When you install the face that will hold the speakers in place you must make sure that it is completely sealed from the trunk. You can't have any air flow going from the car into the trunk and vise-versa.

Second: You have to either use Free-air speakers and I know Kicker makes some. I'm sure other companies do too. You can also use speakers that require a large amount of air space.

Third: Make sure you are running them in series and mono so they are not fighting one another.

Are you wanting to run boxless so you still have a trunk or doing it for weight reasons?

Blev said:
It can be done. There are three main things you need to do.

First: When you install the face that will hold the speakers in place you must make sure that it is completely sealed from the trunk. You can't have any air flow going from the car into the trunk and vise-versa.

Second: You have to either use Free-air speakers and I know Kicker makes some. I'm sure other companies do too. You can also use speakers that require a large amount of air space.

Third: Make sure you are running them in series and mono so they are not fighting one another.

Are you wanting to run boxless so you still have a trunk or doing it for weight reasons?

These are the subs that i have http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ABNALUM12Q

I am doing it for the looks of the rear seat as well as saving room in the trunk if i didnt have to use it.

JonJon said:
Never knew that speakers like that existed. Neat :)

Yes sir....

you won't get as tight of bass as you would with a sealed or ported enclosure, but they don't sound bad. You just have to make sure that things are sealed well. Since he has a newer stang all the seals are still good, so it should sound nice.

There is another option that is a bit more complicated. I'm in the process of designing it right now. With my vert, there is pretty much nothing to the bottom of the back seat. I'm designing a flow through port to exit below each side of the seat. With a ported enclosre the majority of sound travels through the port. So the bass will really sound clean inside the car.

It's going to take some time, but with all the PVC I have it's just a matter of the right angles.

StygianStang said:
These are the subs that i have http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ABNALUM12Q

I am doing it for the looks of the rear seat as well as saving room in the trunk if i didnt have to use it.

Sorry to say this, but it even says they are NOT recommeded for use as Free airs. Not to mention the issue of weight. These are heavy speakers and you would really have to support them. You can always buy a competition bandpass box by R/T. They have a clear plexiglas front for view and some even come with neon lights inside the box. If your looking for show, this is the way to go. You can just use speaker carpet and thin pannel to dress up the space around the box so it looks like it's built in. Just my .02

Here is a picture of the box I had in my Accord, I just can't fit it in my stang :(

3149024_ra.jpg

Attachments

• 3149024_ra.jpg
    3149024_ra.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 66
I know what you mean by free air subs, and using the trunk as an enclosure, but thats for car shows. And people who test SPL levels with earphones on. If you have ever sat in a car with a rear seat folded down, and the subs aimed at the front of the car, you will know what the sound waves do to your ears. Its not fun. Stick with the speaker box in your trunk. Plus, if someone walks by your car and thinks your idea as good as you do, he will own it. And you will be posting on here on how to install an alarm :)

my friend had a 68 bird in highschool. he put 2 10's and 2 eights in the back deck lid. they were pioneer free airs. I was actually suprised how good they sounded. the work to intall them was more than builiding box in my opinion. You can pick up an mdf box for 2 tens for 60-100 or a sheet of it for like $20. I dont' know how you plan on monting them in your stang but there will be some work involved. they still have to have a rigid mount of somekind. no what I would recomend but it can be done and made to sound ok.