spacers..worth it ? or get a new carb ?

Stangninjak

Apr 16, 2004
Its me again. back with a new question :rolleyes: My 351 rebuilt is nearing completion, as I will be recieving my block on Monday or Tues...I listed the specs in another thread I had, but here are the highlights.

KB pistons, 9:5:1 compression, Trick Flow's Twisted Wedge Heads:
61cc Combustion Chamber
2.02 Intake Valves
1.60 Exhaust Valves
Trick Flow's Track Heat Cam,Lift: .499 in. intake / .510 in. exhaust Duration: .275 intake / .279 exhaust
Lobe Separation: 112 Degrees
Headman Longtubes 1/5/8, and a Edelbrock RPM Preformer, ported stage 1.

Soooo now with the highlights over, I have a edelbrock 600cfm Carb. Now I have been asking, and I have gotten various answers. Some say get a 750 ! Others say, 750 is WAY TO BIG ! Some say get a 650 ! Hmm ok..Some say the 600 is fine as long as you do not rev past 6000...

So now I was reading a article and I saw topic on Spacers. Hmmm interesting read. My question for the guru's here in the classic forum is

Will a spacer help my application ? Remeber this is not a all out strip car. Well it will goto the strip. But its more of a street car. Actually its a "look at my 65, but do not think you can take it Honda killer :D " Its going to be a cruiser and I really just want to have fun in it, but I do want to do it right.

So if I can solve my carb issue by just getting a spacer, that would be lovely :)

Thanx for your input guys. You have been most helpful in this project So far. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Just my opinion, but I have a 600 Holley on my 302, and it's more than adequate for "street stuff". A mildly built 351 that will see the strip could use the 750 Holley. There are a people here that will soon add their advice that have a lot more experience on the strip than me.

A 600 will work OK on the street, but if you REALLY want to wake that roller 351 up, get a list 3310 Holley 750 carb, or a 700 DP(list 4778) for a manual trans. Putting a spacer under that 600 eddy carb ain't gonna do squat. It'll still be under carbed on the top end. Running it past 6 grand ain't gonna hurt it, but it WILL run out of steam before getting there. If you get the 3310, change the secondary spring to some thing lighter than what it comes with.

Hmm good info. OK next question is, what is the difference between a electric choke, and a manual one ? Is there any difference ? I have a electric choke on my old carb now. I was just wondeing if I needed to keep it the same.

Choke does not matter, if you get a manual one it is a little knob that you mount inside the car, and yank when the car is cold to richen the mixture. I have electric now, and I prefer it, because I did not like the look of the knob in my interior, both are good and serve the same purpose.

Electric choke= good for cold starts (when they work properly) Manual choke= works the same, you just have to do it yourself, but there's nothing to break or go wrong (as opposed to electrics) If you're in a warm southern state, buy a manual choke carb and remove the choke mechanism altogether. A couple minutes "babying it" on cool mornings is all it needs.

Hmm very good Info here..very good indeed. I live in Miami FL, so I guess I do not have to worry about the engine being cold:rolleyes: I been looking at different carbs, and what do you think about the Holley Street Avenger 670CFM Carb ? It has a electric choke on it, and I been offered a preety good deal on it. Also the guy has a Holley SA 770 CFM as well for about 20 bucs or so more.

Another deal I saw was on a Edelbrock 750 CFM Manual. So any of those decent ? I would get the best deal on the Edel 750. But the 670 is sure perty :) Would look good under my hood :nice:

Stangninjak said:
Hmm very good Info here..very good indeed. I live in Miami FL, so I guess I do not have to worry about the engine being cold:rolleyes: I been looking at different carbs, and what do you think about the Holley Street Avenger 670CFM Carb ? It has a electric choke on it, and I been offered a preety good deal on it. Also the guy has a Holley SA 770 CFM as well for about 20 bucs or so more.

Another deal I saw was on a Edelbrock 750 CFM Manual. So any of those decent ? I would get the best deal on the Edel 750. But the 670 is sure perty :) Would look good under my hood :nice:
The 670 would be a good compromise between power, mileage and throttle response. And as for looks, ANY Holley looks better than an Edelbrock. :D The Eddy's looks are the biggest reason I'd never buy one. Why build a good looking engine then top it with something so butt-ugly ? Buy a Manual choke 670, then remove the choke altogether, including the butterfly and it's rod. You don't need it where you're at. The oval slot thru the body for its operating rod, can be plugged by removing the rod, then taking a screw that fits the hole in the plastic bushing, and screwing it into the bushing:nice:

W000t ! Thanks so much guys. Exp you D Hearne. You know your stuff. The rest of you guys as well. I appreciate all the good advice I find in these forums from people "in the know." Heh the edy's do not look "That" bad :rolleyes: But that street avenger looked dam sweet. I will get it today then :)

This project seems to be coming along nice, and soon all my pieces will be here. BTW, anyone know a site that I can throw pics up on? I want to take pics of the start to finish product, and heh show my baby off after she gets her operation :nice:

D.Hearne said:
The 670 would be a good compromise between power, mileage and throttle response. And as for looks, ANY Holley looks better than an Edelbrock. :D The Eddy's looks are the biggest reason I'd never buy one. Why build a good looking engine then top it with something so butt-ugly ? Buy a Manual choke 670, then remove the choke altogether, including the butterfly and it's rod. You don't need it where you're at. The oval slot thru the body for its operating rod, can be plugged by removing the rod, then taking a screw that fits the hole in the plastic bushing, and screwing it into the bushing:nice:

I agree. The edelbrocks are actually a good carb, not the best for power, but good design nonetheless. Unfortunately they are so fetching ugly that I would never consider one. Besides I am a firm believer in tweaking and tuning to get max power. :D

Well I just took the plunge and in a last minute decision, I bought the Holley Street Avenger 770 CFM Electric Choke. I also got the nice looking dual fuel line they had on special. Why the 770 ? Well I read what was said here, a article I found on a 351 with TFW heads and cam, an article on flowing with different carbs ect, and after talking with a few others, I found out that the HSA are very tuneable. So I can always tune down..better than not having enough to go up. Plus I got offered the same deal for a 770 as a 670 :D Might as well get more CFM for the buck eh.. :nice:

Also why the electric ? Heh, it was cheaper than the manual ! Go figure.

Thanks again for all the help. I do not think I will be disapointed with choice. Hopefully project "Lift her skirt" will begin this weekend.

:SNSign: