• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Fox Spark plug recommendations?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GreyMare88
  • Start date Start date Sep 15, 2020
G

GreyMare88

Member
Jan 30, 2019
69
2
18
Statesboro, GA
Sep 15, 2020
#1
  • Sep 15, 2020
  • #1
Finally getting ready to do this H/C/I job on the Grey Mare and I'm trying to get the right plugs for these P heads; I know eventually I'm going to supercharge her so what would everyone run in her now and when I eventually put the adder on?
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Sep 15, 2020
#2
  • Sep 15, 2020
  • #2
Autolite or NGK copper (the cheap ones). Just have them look them up for an Explorer.

Kurt
 
Reactions: General karthief

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,340
18,069
224
Massachusetts
Sep 16, 2020
#3
  • Sep 16, 2020
  • #3
I second that.

I'd say motorcraft as well, as I believe the new ones are now made by NGK.

Stick with copper
 

pats91

15 Year Member
Mar 6, 2007
124
74
48
Gladstone, MO
Sep 16, 2020
#4
  • Sep 16, 2020
  • #4
x2 on staying with copper plugs.

I have been running NGK TR55's in my P-headed car for quite a while with good results.
 
Reactions: revhead347

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Sep 16, 2020
#5
  • Sep 16, 2020
  • #5
I have one of the last sets of American Autolites in my car right now. I kind of stock piled them at one point because you go through a lot of plugs on nitrous. Now that the Autolites are made in China, I'd actually go to the NGKs.

Kurt
 

Ryuk

I love your drawers
5 Year Member
Apr 22, 2017
1,707
1,633
133
Sep 17, 2020
#6
  • Sep 17, 2020
  • #6
I remember back when Splitfires were the newest big thing, I went into our local speed shop (we still had one) and was shooting the breeze with the owner who told me it was a gimmick and all the benefits could be had with NGK V power plugs that were less expensive. I've used NGK ever since.
 
Reactions: Boostedpimp, 7991LXnSHO, revhead347 and 1 other person

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Sep 17, 2020
#7
  • Sep 17, 2020
  • #7
JD08 said:
I remember back when Splitfires were the newest big thing, I went into our local speed shop (we still had one) and was shooting the breeze with the owner who told me it was a gimmick and all the benefits could be had with NGK V power plugs that were less expensive. I've used NGK ever since.
Click to expand...

The V-power is a gimmick too. There's nothing wrong with it, NGK makes a quality part which is what really matters, but it's the same as the splitfire, there will always be one spark traveling the path of least resistance.

Kurt
 

Ryuk

I love your drawers
5 Year Member
Apr 22, 2017
1,707
1,633
133
Sep 18, 2020
#8
  • Sep 18, 2020
  • #8
revhead347 said:
The V-power is a gimmick too. There's nothing wrong with it, NGK makes a quality part which is what really matters, but it's the same as the splitfire, there will always be one spark traveling the path of least resistance.

Kurt
Click to expand...
That was his point. Splitfire was charging extra for a split ground electrode and NGK was charging regular price for a V in the center electrode that would accomplish the same thing using Splitfire's logic. The difference was that NGK was already a good plug and they're what he recommended.
 
Reactions: revhead347

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Sep 18, 2020
#9
  • Sep 18, 2020
  • #9
JD08 said:
That was his point. Splitfire was charging extra for a split ground electrode and NGK was charging regular price for a V in the center electrode that would accomplish the same thing using Splitfire's logic. The difference was that NGK was already a good plug and they're what he recommended.
Click to expand...

Now the new thing is that "E3" or whatever they call it. Some made in China they marked up 600% over a regular plug. I actually bought one for a chainsaw because I couldn't find another brand locally. Damn thing wouldn't even screw into the chainsaw. I finally put a vernier to it, and the fricken plug wasn't even remotely round. NGK can put whatever groove they want where ever. Bottom line is they make good plugs.

Kurt
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

3
393W Stroker with Boost - Need Spark Plug Recommendations
  • 387lx
  • Apr 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
323
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 30, 2026
HotFox
Problems after exhaust install and 02 harness
  • djj62478
  • Jul 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
39
Views
784
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
S
Fox '87 GT can't get to stay running
  • spilly
  • Mar 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
27
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
spilly
S
96 GT 4.6 w/ dirty spark plug well
  • Mustang Momma
  • Apr 7, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
175
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Apr 9, 2026
LILCBRA
3
Autolite 3925 discontinued?
  • 387lx
  • Jan 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
307
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 30, 2026
Mustang5L5
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?