Spark Plug Wires

tx65coupe

Nov 29, 1999
I'm looking for some black spark plug wires that will work well on my 302 with Pertronix distributor. I would like to route them down around the front and to the sides of the valve covers. If nothing else I would like to be able to use the retainers on top of the Powered By Ford valve covers. I currently have the Accel super stock in blue. They work well, but a couple of wires don't fit in the retainer very well.

• Sponsors (?)

kind of unscrupulous thing to do, but....

i have in the past and i would again buy two boxes of the same brand from different sources. i just pull the wires i need and return the leftovers. I basically just throw out the really long and really short stuff for a better over-all fit. before you judge, i was driving Pontiacs and the industry just treats all GM V8's like a chevy small block and uses a standard GM kit that only really fits a bell curve of the sbc's. so they started it.

i also like several of the the generic 4-wire clips from the help isle for keeping everything together.

I went with Taylor wires which you put the ends on yourself so you can make the length custom. They are held into place with separators from Made-for-You. I was very happy with the setup and it is exactly the look I was going for, clean and simple.

Good luck
IMG_5210.JPG photo - longman41 photos at pbase.com
IMG_5213.JPG photo - longman41 photos at pbase.com

70882265.pLaEkvec.jpg

The picture doesn't work. I had thought about getting some of the build your own type. I just thought I would end up with one of them having a bad connection.

The Ford Racing wires are not a great fit. I had them on my F150. They are miles too long. They are also big and bulky looking and require the fat wire seperators.

I saw some of those made by Scott Drake. I think I am going to go with black Pertronix Flamethrower 8mm wires. The 9mm Ford Racing ones are just too long and too thick. I don't want the wires to be the focal point of the engine bay.

You only put one end on and I'm sure it is the distributor end as the other is nicely molded in place. I also got the 45 degree boots which work great for keeping them off of the headers. It is a fairly simple process of stripping the wires and crimping the end on. I did not have any special crimp tool or anything. Look here at the universal wire instructions and see if you feel comfortable with it. I'd just practice stripping the some before you get the exact length and then you get a feel for cutting through the insulation without cutting the conductor.

Taylor Cable Products :: Support Material