Sparkplug blew out of my Engine..Literally...!!

chris kelvin

Sep 11, 2005
Hey guys i posted on www.tccoa.com, and i want to get your thought/experiances on this.. I got a 95 4.6 V8 thunderbird, and today i pulled all the plugs to see what condition they where in after 5k miles, they are Autolite single platinum AP764 which i gapped to .056 (stock is .052-.056).. I pull each one and to my surprise they where all basically brand new, a slight bownish tint..which is normal. I regapped them at .053 for a stronger spark (this i was told will help my hesitation/pop noise from the exhaust under light throttle over 25mph) and put em back making sure they had dielectric grease/anti sieze etc.

Oh boy, here's the fun part. I connect the battery, start her up.....POP-PADA-POP-PADA-POP-PADA..sounds like a dragster. I shut it after 10 seconds, and look under the hood....................i see a boot and plug ejected from the head. Thanks god the boot is all fine, but the plug had a badly crushed electrode. I go to autozone to replace the one plug, and all is fine now. I'm so happy the threads didn't strip the head, cause that's a majr pain getting on of those heli-coils in there.

I'm still bugged at the fact that i did everything textbook, made sure everything was fine, tight, making sure not to cross thread etc etc....and this plug blew out..? I still cannot fathom how this happened.

PS, how long do you think these plugs should last..? I only replaced the one today cause honestly i'm broke, does changing one, and leaving 7 others in with 5k miles on them hurt any..? This is the last time i change plugs myself...lol...i'm gonna stick to what i know...car audio..

• Sponsors (?)

chris kelvin said:
Hey guys i posted on www.tccoa.com, and i want to get your thought/experiances on this.. I got a 95 4.6 V8 thunderbird, and today i pulled all the plugs to see what condition they where in after 5k miles, they are Autolite single platinum AP764 which i gapped to .056 (stock is .052-.056).. I pull each one and to my surprise they where all basically brand new, a slight bownish tint..which is normal. I regapped them at .053 for a stronger spark (this i was told will help my hesitation/pop noise from the exhaust under light throttle over 25mph) and put em back making sure they had dielectric grease/anti sieze etc.

Oh boy, here's the fun part. I connect the battery, start her up.....POP-PADA-POP-PADA-POP-PADA..sounds like a dragster. I shut it after 10 seconds, and look under the hood....................i see a boot and plug ejected from the head. Thanks god the boot is all fine, but the plug had a badly crushed electrode. I go to autozone to replace the one plug, and all is fine now. I'm so happy the threads didn't strip the head, cause that's a majr pain getting on of those heli-coils in there.

I'm still bugged at the fact that i did everything textbook, made sure everything was fine, tight, making sure not to cross thread etc etc....and this plug blew out..? I still cannot fathom how this happened.

PS, how long do you think these plugs should last..? I only replaced the one today cause honestly i'm broke, does changing one, and leaving 7 others in with 5k miles on them hurt any..? This is the last time i change plugs myself...lol...i'm gonna stick to what i know...car audio..

You're VERY lucky. It happened to me 3 weeks ago and I've had to replace all kinds of stuff and still huntin' down bugs.

I've replaced fuel pump, injectors, plugs, PCM, coil on plugs, etc...

You're lucky. I'm jealous...