Speaker in Spare Tire Spot

I am considering installing a 12" sub into the spare tire area of the rear of my hatch. If I did this, I would also install a 5 Channel Amp to the rear of it just in front of the seats to power the sub and all of the other 6 speakers. Has anyone attempted this? There is not a lot of room and I was curious if anyone has any pictures. Also, I would most likely build the battery for the vehicle inset into the cover a little as well.

• Sponsors (?)

My brother did that, custom carpeted piece, having seen some of the systems he's made, it would sound better with a box. Show factor is cool though. I think you're underestimationg the size of the amp/sub if you're going to try to fit a battery in there. With one 12" sub you shouldn't need a spare battery, at best a better alternator while running, a gel cell battery while not.

I have 4 speakers and an ipod running through my head unit, not really a bass guy myself.:Track:

I've considered it, and even planned it out, but never got around to it.

Here were my thoughts on it, just note, i'm a little more sensible and the spare tire IMO takes precedence.

What i was going to do is use wood and essentially make the spare tire well taller by enough to keep the spare in it, seal it all off, then use some kind of stripping for the top plate (which would be wood) and then use snap downs similar to what used to be on old tool boxes, this way i could get the spare tire out. The lid would just have the speaker in it. Then cut the factory carpet around it, so it just looks like a raised center section.
Would that work? I have no clue, but that's the way i would like it.
If it's a dumb idea, feel free to flame me, i can handle it.

I did this YEARS ago in my 91 LX convertible.

BAsically, i used sound deadener on the floor, covered that with white trash bag plastic. i built up the sides over the truck floor 1" to get a good flat surface to screw the top of the box too (picture 3 pieces of wood outlining the spare well, using the rear body panel as the fourth.
Then i laid down fiberglass matting layer upon layer....after it was about 3/8 thick, and dry, i bolted my top panel with 2 10" cutouts, and ran two SPL 10's (Soundstream, before they sucked) and powered those @ 1 ohm mono with a refrence 500.....

I built up to the left and right with thick cardboard so it was even with the "box" and laid carpet over all of it, so i essentially had a 1.75" raised rr floor appearance wise. all you could see was the two speaker grilles...

anyway, it was a pain in the ass, but worked real good. I did the same thing to my 96 gt convertible after i sold the 91 a couple years later. the plastic bags covering all the metal made it easier to remove than you might think...

Good Luck!

2000 I really don't care about the spare too much. I never drive the car more than 30 miles from my house. I also don't have a spare big enough to cover my brakes. So I have an empty hatch that would be awesome to have a speaker built into it.