Spec Stage 2 Plus Premature Clutch Failure

Saberstang

May 2, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I have a 1996 Ford Mustang GT with a Spec Stage 2 Plus Clutch and Spec aluminum flywheel I had installed by a reputable Driveline Shop at 81,595 miles using a Steeda quadrant, firewall adjuster, and Clutch Cable. I have had a MGW shifter also. The T45 transmission I have is in very good condition overall. Proper break in procedure was followed.Vehicle only sees normal street driving with no track time on this clutch at all.Problems occurred at 96,323 miles with the clutch not holding in gear in 4th and 5th gear. Shifter will rattle when you use the gas petal in 4th and 5th gear and shifter will pop out of gear in 4th and 5th gear. 1st,2nd, and 3rd are usable and will stick in gear. The Spec Stage 2 Plus Clutch was a little stiff to me and would chatter alot. My 1996 Ford Mustang GT only put down 205 rwhp and 273 rwtq on the Dynojet when I got my car professionally dyno tuned before this clutch was installed. I got this clutch installed for room to grow in the future for more power. The Spec Stage 2 Plus Clutch has a multi friction disc in a full faced configuration with carbon semi metallic on one side and kevlar on the other. Torque Capacity is rated at 635 ft lbs. My Spec Stage 2 Plus Clutch failed prematurely and should have lasted a lot longer on my vehicle. Has everyone had their Spec clutch fail prematurely on them? I have to invest in another clutch set up. Does anyone here have any clutch set up recommendations? I am really considering the Centerforce DFX clutch.

• Sponsors (?)

Clutch failure should not cause a trans to pop out of I gear, unless something is horribly unballanced or bent.

That being said I've never once had a spec failure. Well actually we destroyed a 2+ on the sauce but it was when we snapped the input shaft so I'm not faulting spec on that one.

Well according to my transmission technicians diagnoses the clutch pressure plate is faulty and the clutch disc is showing signs of wear and needs to be replaced. Either way I was wanted to hear other people's experience with Spec clutches. I have a Centerforce DFX clutch and Centerforce steel flywheel on it's way. I am going to still use the Steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster. I have a new Steeda clutch cable on the way also. I know people how had good experiences with the Centerforce clutches how are making a lot more power on their cars. Thanks.