Speed Density running rich

mbanach

May 20, 2019
Indiana
I just rebuilt my motor on my 1988 GT convertible. It ran really well, but it had a low oil pressure issue. Well i just fired it up the other night and it started fine, but it idles lumpy at about 800 rpm and it smells like its running rich.

The car is basically stock- the only adds prior to the rebuild were under drive pullys and a cold air intake. With the rebuild the only added changes were stainless headers, off road H pipe, new 19lbs injectors. Everything else is stock.

Now back to the issue- in reading the other threads it seems i should be looking at my coolant sensor, MAP sensor, Oxygen sensors, make sure the Vac line is on my fuel pressure regulator.

What am I missing? Is it possible that the lack of pack pressure is part of the issue? Any insights from you all that have more experience would be helpful.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Back pressure? :rlaugh:
sorry that is quite the subject.
we have a tech thread that has lots of info, here is one that will keep you from chasing your tail.

Was the battery pulled? ecm relearning? I would probably start with a code reader or test light and count the blinks to see what codes are set and go from there. The exhuast wouldn't be effecting the cars tune I would say you probably aren't used to a car that doesn't have cats :)

Reactions: 1 user
Back pressure? :rlaugh:
sorry that is quite the subject.
we have a tech thread that has lots of info, here is one that will keep you from chasing your tail.

Yeah I may have gone to the wrong spot in the forum- I'll learn the ropes

Where is the map sensor vac line hooked to? Direct vacuum from manifold?

I'd pull the codes. The speed density cars do not have a functional check engine light, so you just need to pull the codes on a whim

Thanks- I’m pretty sure I had the MAP hooked up, but it’s now on the list to check. Work is crazy this week so i wanted to do my research on how the system really worked and common issues. I’ve never really done much to it other than new 02 sensors and Tps sensor.
Thanks

I just rebuilt my motor on my 1988 GT convertible. It ran really well, but it had a low oil pressure issue. Well i just fired it up the other night and it started fine, but it idles lumpy at about 800 rpm and it smells like its running rich.

The car is basically stock- the only adds prior to the rebuild were under drive pullys and a cold air intake. With the rebuild the only added changes were stainless headers, off road H pipe, new 19lbs injectors. Everything else is stock.

Now back to the issue- in reading the other threads it seems i should be looking at my coolant sensor, MAP sensor, Oxygen sensors, make sure the Vac line is on my fuel pressure regulator.

What am I missing? Is it possible that the lack of pack pressure is part of the issue? Any insights from you all that have more experience would be helpful.

Thanks
Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/