speedo gear, beat to death yes but every search yields different answers

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
Ok so my 95 t-5 mustang has 3.73 gears and I'm trying to correct the speedo. Upon searching Some say, 23 tooth some say 21. I hear that you have to change the gear in the tail shaft to get most accurate and that the trans needs to be pulled to do so or makes it easier to do so and that is not gonna happen. Latemodel has this kit http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...-95-Mustang-Speedo-Gear-Kit-T5-With-373-Gears that has both drive and driven gear ones yellow and the other is red, (I dont know which is which) they also have different colored gears of the same tooth count, ie: a red 21 tooth and a purple 21 tooth as well as a black 23 and a white 23. So which one do you use and how well will it fit if you dont change the gear in tail shaft? Also I hear since the closest gear is a jeep product it will wear out, how long will it last before it does? Oh and IU also read on a post where some guy was told to uses a speed cal and was flammed for askin what one is. Well I know what one is but will it even work on a 95 since its not an electronic speedo??

Please help

mike

• Sponsors (?)

Is it the drive gear or the driven gear that is messed up? This is the best tech website I have seen. It's for auto transmissions, but if you are only changing the driven gear, then it works for manuals as well. See if you can put your combo in this calculator to see if you can get a good answer.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/speedometer-gear-calculator

Kurt

Is it the drive gear or the driven gear that is messed up? This is the best tech website I have seen. It's for auto transmissions, but if you are only changing the driven gear, then it works for manuals as well. See if you can put your combo in this calculator to see if you can get a good answer.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/speedometer-gear-calculator

Kurt
neither is messed up I don't think, just the ole 2.73 to 3.73 switch ya know. I wish I would have know that they don't make a gear that will fit exact when going above 3.27. Which gear is the one that isn't in the tail shaft? I hear people change that one and it gets it close for awhile til it gets chewed up.

Drive gear is the circular one.
It slides over the output shaft, inside the tranny.

Driven gear is the one with the "stem" on top.
It is clipped on the end of the VSS.

I just use a SpeedCal for speed correction.

Cruise works fine here.

The only thing I see is a slight jump in the speedo needle at very low speeds, when starting from a stop.

I was getting a little flutter on the speedo around 70-80 mph a few weeks ago.
Got under the car and went over the wiring and it went away.

You have two choices - time/labor vs. money:

1) Speedcal = $$$, and some people complain about short lifespans of the unit. ...or

2) The kit linked above and pull off the tail shaft housing = lots of time and labor, and $10 if purchased from the Ford dealer.

The problem is that our cars came with the 8 tooth drive gear, and you need the 6 or 7 tooth drive gear for 3.73's.

The white driven gear that some shops sell doesn't work well - I think it's from a Jeep and from what I've read the diameter is wrong. It may work for a wile, but the gear is always under bad stress and there are numerous pictures of them with their teeth stripped off.

I did the swap a couple of years ago on my car without pulling the trans - not fun. You have to drop the mid-pipe either way and it's a whole lot easier if you just pull the trans out. The worst part of the job is the shifter block and lining that up with the shift rail. There's a sping loaded ball bearing for the sifter detent block which has to be held in place while you slip the tailshaft housing back on, and there's a roll pin required to hold the shifter block to the rail. This is a royal pain to do in the car. Two people would help, but the whole process would be significantly faster/easier on a bench.