speedo gear?

• Sponsors (?)

Don't mean to hijack, but I have a speedo related question. I have a 95 GT with 3.73 gears. Now I know that the white 23 speedo gear will be the closest without changing the drive gear but exactly how off would it be? 1-2 mph? If it's something that minuscule, I won't bother.

But if I really wanted to change the drive gear, how hard of an install are we looking here?

Thanks!

just changing the speedo gear is easy, on the driver side of the tranny towards the rear the speedo cable and vss sensor go into the tranny. one bolt, you pull the sensor/speedo gear out, pop off a clip, put new gear on, re install.

the problem witht he 90 up aod's and t-5's is the actual gears in the tailshaft of the tranny only accomodate up to a 3.55 speedo gear. what happens is if you use another gear it can or i should say will slowly chew the speedo gear up.

i did that with my old aod. i put 373's in, used the closest gear that would work for it, and when i did my t-5 swap and pulled the gear out it was chewed, still worked, but wouldn't have for much longer, and that was with only 1000 miles on it...

i'm not positive if thats the same with the 95 or not.......meaning, i don't know if there's a gear you can use thats just not as accurate, but will mesh ok, or, if it's the same deal, where if you use a 3.73 speedo gear it will work but eventually get chewed...

to totally fix it, you can buy the correct drive gear for inside the tranny itself and use the correct gear........how difficult that is to do i couldn't tell you......

i'm guessing it will be off by more than 1 or 2 mph, and that will get more innacurate the faster you go...

I've swapped the drive gear twice on mine -- both times with the tranny out of the car. You have to remove the shifter, drive out the pin on the shift shaft allowing you to remove the tail shaft housing. Then it's a simple matter of removing the retainer clip and sliding the new drive gear on. I'd suggest you use a new retaining clip when you replace the drive gear. You'll want to go down in the number of teeth on the drive gear -- if you have an 8, go to a 7; if you have a seven, go to a six. Use the link above to determine what driven gear you need to go with a smaller drive gear.