• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

spindle problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter golf4283
  • Start date Start date Apr 16, 2008
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Apr 16, 2008
#1
  • Apr 16, 2008
  • #1
So i picked up a set of spindles and 5 lug hubs from a member on this board. I am mocking them up right now and I can't even get the spindle to bolt onto the lower control arm enough to put the cotter pin in. I also took a look at the steering hole for the tie rod and theres not a chance the outer tie-rod will fit through there.

I'm wondering what the deal is with these spindles. Are they what I am looking for?

The markings on the back of the spindle are as follows.

Theres a big "D" cast onto it

C5DA

108

whatever that means maybe someone could shed some light. I think I'm gonna ruin a new lower control arm too so I'm pissed. I was tightening the castle nut and I think it set into the spindle. Not a good night tonight.
 

valley82

Member
May 16, 2005
204
2
19
San Diega, Ca.
Apr 16, 2008
#2
  • Apr 16, 2008
  • #2
I can tell you that my car is a v-8 car, and that they were bolted up to the original upper and lower control arms. If you think that I "DUPED" you, you are more then welcome to send them back and I will refund your money through pay pal!!!!!!!
 

mrmustangman357

Member
Feb 11, 2007
763
3
18
Apr 17, 2008
#3
  • Apr 17, 2008
  • #3
how does it compare to your old spindle?
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
Apr 17, 2008
#4
  • Apr 17, 2008
  • #4
What year is your car and were you using a 4 lug setup before ?
 
G

GNGREN

Member
May 5, 2005
144
3
19
Carroll Valley, PA
Apr 17, 2008
#5
  • Apr 17, 2008
  • #5
Didn't you have Granada spindles on it before the swap back to stock? Don't ya need to goto a larger outer tie rod end with the Granada set up than the stock Mustangs have? So that would mean the tie rod end wouldn't fit. Atleast that is what I thought I read in my instructions for my 67 if I ever get around to installing them.
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Apr 17, 2008
#6
  • Apr 17, 2008
  • #6
No I dont mind the money cuase i didn't pay that much. I bought brand new upper and lower control arms, brand new v8 steering pieces. I just don't know what the problem is here. The outer tie-rod has no chance of passing through the spindle.

I was going to run a granada setup but have since upgraded to a mustangsteve 2008GT setup and all v8 steering linkage.
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Apr 17, 2008
#7
  • Apr 17, 2008
  • #7
UPDATE.

It seems that the upper control arm ball joint will fit the spindle fine but for some reason the lower and tie rod have no shot. Do I have like mixed up year parts here or what. This is very odd and frustrating.
 

jcode68

Active Member
Jul 15, 2003
892
1
29
Massachussetts
Apr 17, 2008
#8
  • Apr 17, 2008
  • #8
I would contact the company you bought the control arm and tie rod parts from and have them double check the numbers. Wouldn't be the first time a parts supplier messed up during pick & pack.
 
G

GNGREN

Member
May 5, 2005
144
3
19
Carroll Valley, PA
Apr 18, 2008
#9
  • Apr 18, 2008
  • #9
golf4283 said:
UPDATE.

It seems that the upper control arm ball joint will fit the spindle fine but for some reason the lower and tie rod have no shot. Do I have like mixed up year parts here or what. This is very odd and frustrating.
Click to expand...

Did you have the Granada set up installed? If so I thought that the tie rod is larger on the Granada setup. So it won't fit in the stock drum spindle? Is it that it won't fit in the hole or won't reach to the spindle from the link?
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Apr 18, 2008
#10
  • Apr 18, 2008
  • #10
The granada spindle was hooked up to my 6cyl suspension and steering pieces. I replaced everything when I got the new spindles.
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
Apr 18, 2008
#11
  • Apr 18, 2008
  • #11
Which tie rods did you order when you replaced the 6 cylinder ones ?
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Apr 18, 2008
#12
  • Apr 18, 2008
  • #12
I have all new 1965-66 V8 steering pieces. I bought a kit from laurel mountain mustang off of ebay. It has the centerlink outer tie rods, inner tie rods, idler arm, tie rod sleeves.
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Apr 18, 2008
#13
  • Apr 18, 2008
  • #13
I just struck me as odd that the LCA and tie rods wouldnt fit in the spindle. Thats why I questioned the spindle being incorrect first. This is definitely a frustrating situation.
 
M

mustangman1974

Member
Jan 17, 2004
463
0
16
Apr 18, 2008
#14
  • Apr 18, 2008
  • #14
see if a local parts house has stock lower control arms in stock. and take your spindle in. I am willing to bet its a bad run of imported lowers. Check your tie rod too. Last time I changed mine took 3 trips to larry's to get the right ones. all bad india castings.
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Apr 22, 2008
#15
  • Apr 22, 2008
  • #15
updating with pics
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Apr 22, 2008
#16
  • Apr 22, 2008
  • #16
2
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Apr 22, 2008
#17
  • Apr 22, 2008
  • #17
3
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Apr 22, 2008
#18
  • Apr 22, 2008
  • #18
Ok so as you can see by all the pics I have sent. I first show the new upper and lower arms. I then show the new tie rod (65-6 v8 manual steering).

I then show the new spindle I received. The spindles have different castings on them. One has
5DA 107B S

The other has
C5DA 108 D

I dont know if these numbers are right or whatever.

Next few pics is the spindle able to fit into the upper arm but not the lower arm for whatever reason. I just dont understand why it wont fit.

The final pic is the tie-rid having no chance of getting through the tie-rod hole on the spindle. Can anyone shed some light on this situation for me?
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Apr 22, 2008
#19
  • Apr 22, 2008
  • #19
no help? I would have hoped someone could help me with this situation.
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
Apr 22, 2008
#20
  • Apr 22, 2008
  • #20
See if your old parts fit the spindle.
 
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
832
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
P
Suspension Different height ball joints?
  • pindude80
  • Jun 10, 2024
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
15
Views
3K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 12, 2024
limp
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
343
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
J
Severe shaking/vibrations in steering wheel
  • jacket999
  • May 20, 2025
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
940
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Jun 1, 2025
NtheGAME
N
G
Suspension
  • Gpayan04GT
  • Apr 28, 2024
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
951
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Apr 30, 2024
Mustang5L5
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?