spindle problem

golf4283

May 30, 2003
Orland Park, Illinois
So i picked up a set of spindles and 5 lug hubs from a member on this board. I am mocking them up right now and I can't even get the spindle to bolt onto the lower control arm enough to put the cotter pin in. I also took a look at the steering hole for the tie rod and theres not a chance the outer tie-rod will fit through there.

I'm wondering what the deal is with these spindles. Are they what I am looking for?

The markings on the back of the spindle are as follows.

Theres a big "D" cast onto it

C5DA

whatever that means maybe someone could shed some light. I think I'm gonna ruin a new lower control arm too so I'm pissed. I was tightening the castle nut and I think it set into the spindle. Not a good night tonight.

• Sponsors (?)

Didn't you have Granada spindles on it before the swap back to stock? Don't ya need to goto a larger outer tie rod end with the Granada set up than the stock Mustangs have? So that would mean the tie rod end wouldn't fit. Atleast that is what I thought I read in my instructions for my 67 if I ever get around to installing them.

No I dont mind the money cuase i didn't pay that much. I bought brand new upper and lower control arms, brand new v8 steering pieces. I just don't know what the problem is here. The outer tie-rod has no chance of passing through the spindle.

I was going to run a granada setup but have since upgraded to a mustangsteve 2008GT setup and all v8 steering linkage.

UPDATE.

It seems that the upper control arm ball joint will fit the spindle fine but for some reason the lower and tie rod have no shot. Do I have like mixed up year parts here or what. This is very odd and frustrating.

Did you have the Granada set up installed? If so I thought that the tie rod is larger on the Granada setup. So it won't fit in the stock drum spindle? Is it that it won't fit in the hole or won't reach to the spindle from the link?

Ok so as you can see by all the pics I have sent. I first show the new upper and lower arms. I then show the new tie rod (65-6 v8 manual steering).

I then show the new spindle I received. The spindles have different castings on them. One has
5DA 107B S

The other has
C5DA 108 D

I dont know if these numbers are right or whatever.

Next few pics is the spindle able to fit into the upper arm but not the lower arm for whatever reason. I just dont understand why it wont fit.

The final pic is the tie-rid having no chance of getting through the tie-rod hole on the spindle. Can anyone shed some light on this situation for me?