Suspension

Gpayan04GT

Apr 28, 2024
TEXAS
04 Mustang Gt 4.6l, I just upgraded my front suspension. Control arms, Sway bar link, sway barbusings, inner outer tie rods, new Isolators, bearing. As I put everything back together, My D/S wheel seems good anough to ride and get it align.
My problem is my P/S is Toe out, and I've reached my limit on my adjustment on my tie rods. Am off far anough too where, I can't drive it. I've ran out of options. Am I over looking something.
I already switch sides, thinking maybe they could be directional, that didn't work.

• Sponsors (?)

So I had unbolt the rack in order to get to the control arm bolts. Once I got the control arms in, I bolted everything back in the position it was prior.
As far as you asking if it was centered, not sure what you mean? Once I got it bolted back in position, it never moved. Not sure if that answers your question?
Truly appreciate you responding and giving me advice.

I'd disconnect your tie rod ends first and do the following (get your front tires pretty much straight first), don't worry if one's off center. Having the rack free from the spindles makes it easy.

Turn the wheel 'lock-to-lock', count the turns. Turn back from lock 1/2 that distance. That is close to centered. EX: 2.5 turns from left lock to right lock, divide by 2 = 1.25 turns back to center. Then you can get your front tires pointing straight and you should have enough to do what you need.

I'd disconnect your tie rod ends first and do the following (get your front tires pretty much straight first), don't worry if one's off center. Having the rack free from the spindles makes it easy.

Turn the wheel 'lock-to-lock', count the turns. Turn back from lock 1/2 that distance. That is close to centered. EX: 2.5 turns from left lock to right lock, divide by 2 = 1.25 turns back to center. Then you can get your front tires pointing straight and you should have enough to do what you need.
Ok...Am try do my best. Hopefully it works. Once again, I appreciate your advice.

I concur with the others. Sounds like your steering rack may not be centered.

However I think the SN95 steering wheel can only install in 2 possible locations. So it's likely 180* out where it should be installed. I think.

But check to see where center position is on your rack, lock to lock. It should be roughly 2.25-2.5 turns lock to lock depending on what rack limiters are installed. So from center, it should be half of that. 1.125-1.25 turns from center to lock

I concur with the others. Sounds like your steering rack may not be centered.

However I think the SN95 steering wheel can only install in 2 possible locations. So it's likely 180* out where it should be installed. I think.

But check to see where center position is on your rack, lock to lock. It should be roughly 2.25-2.5 turns lock to lock depending on what rack limiters are installed. So from center, it should be half of that. 1.125-1.25 turns from center to lock
Am active right now with my car. Am behind the wheel, both tie rods are out, inner and outer. Center of the wheel. As I turn left it lock 1.25, center of wheel right is 1.25 to lock.
Keep the steering wheel centered. Am assuming that's what you mentioned. Seems correct.
Now to re install the tie rods, is there something I should do with them to verify they go in correctly?

Yes, that is correct. As for putting the tie rod ends on, just get the tire pointing as straight as possible, then put it together and off to the alignment shop. You really shouldn't have any differences that won't allow one side to be installed unless someone prior did some "modifying" to the rack.

If i remember correctly from when I did the tie rods on my SN95 not too long ago, it was 22-24 turns to thread the outer tie rod end onto the inners. I think that's what I recall them being.

Whatever you spin on one side, should be the same on the other side give or take a turn or two. Just get them close, ensure you had enough thread engagement and take it for an alignment.