spots spots spots dang i hate water spots

Jan 17, 2004
Alright. I searched the boards and took the advice of claying my entire car. Its BFR (bright F$%^ red). I used meguires polish, then a poly sealer on top 5 coats. Well the car got hit be sprinklers and there are water spots. This is the kicker. The shine still there, but the spots are in the red paint. 1. How in the world did this happen. 2. what can i do to keep this from happening again. I do know I used carab wax before and the same thing happened. I have tried nxt or what its called from meguires, that looked good but don't last more then a couple days. Any other suggestions.??

• Sponsors (?)

There is absolutely NOTHING you can do to prevent water spots if you let them sit on your paint. The problem is that rain contains minerals and also polutants from the atmosphere that get left behind when the water evaporates and that is what etches your paint. No wax or sealant can stand up to those chemicals.

THIS SUCKS D$%^IT. Some one could make billions if they could make something to keep it from spotting. GRRRRR. I knwo when i got it back from the shop they said they glazed the back half. ( was rearended) and that still looks good. What do they mean by glazing?

A glaze is basically just oils that coat the surface. One a fresh aftermarket paint job you have to let the paint cure for anywhere from 30-90 days depending on what your paint shop tells you. During that time you cannot use a wax or sealant on the paint as it will interfere with the curing process. They use a glaze to give some protection to the paint. You can use something like Meguiars #7 show car glaze or Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish (Step 2) or Mothers Sealer Glaze (Step 2).