Spring Help - Does This Look Right?

65-Fstbk

15 Year Member
May 20, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Control Arm and spring.jpg

I am putting the front suspension back on the car and am using the 600lb performance springs. My question is that when I get the spring in place on the perch, one side (inboard) sits in the seat but the outboard side is well off the perch.

When the suspension is put under load the spindle comes up to make the spring contact the perch but without load this is how it sits. The shocks aren't in yet but are the shocks designed to carry the weight of the from front assembly from dropping down too far. I have also lowered the upper A-arms 1".

Can anyone tell me if this is common when installing performance springs?

• Sponsors (?)

I have installed quite a few of these on my personal cars, and everytime it looks like the picture you posted... Generally when installing these you need to jack-up the lower control arm until the coil is level with the spring seat, once its level you can install the shock and lower the car... There wont be too much weight on the shock... hope this helps a bit. let me know...

I hope that's how it is supposed to look. I put 620 1" lower springs in my 66 and they looked just like that while installing. I also did the "Shelby" drop. I was worried that they may fall out while driving. Once I got it all back together, including the sway bar, and set it on the ground, all looked well. I have had the front off the ground many times since then and everything is still in the right place. I mention the sway bar because once I got it on, the LCA seemed to come up a little and make the spring more secure.

Thanks all. I will post a pic when it's all back together.

As a side note I have been looking for a 16:1 ratio steering box to replace my stock 19:1 unit. I spoke with our local Mustang shop and they had a great suggestion. Keep the original factory box with all it's correct date codes and have it converted to 16:1. They directed me to a steering shop that has been doing this for years. They are rebuilding and converting my existing box to a 16:1 unit for $325.00 which I thought was very reasonable.