sry guys--but i have a gear issue !welcome!

85stangt

Founding Member
Sep 11, 2002
byron, il
well i was sure i wanted 4.10s for my auto, but i have the art carr manual valebody with lock out overdrive--meaning i engage OD through a toggle switch--anyway im worried i wont be able to trap out with out hitting OD
and i think that would slow me down--so, Would 4.10 gears allow me to cross the finish line in drive and not have to switch to OD, or should I play it safe with 3.90s?
hope u guys understand, because im lost and i wrote it! LOL

• Sponsors (?)

I love gear ques.Id say 3.90's **WARNING-NO OD IN THE QUARTER--WILL RESULT IN BAD ET'S**LOL,I just got 3.73's,I think I should have gone with 3.90's. AOD with 2800 stall,stock motor!

Yes, you should be fine crossing the line in 3rd with 4.10's. PM a guy named Michael Yount for the formula to figure out what you will actually be turning for rpm. With the formula you can plug in the height of tires you plan to run, gearing (4.10), and assuming 1:1 final drive (which it would be in 3rd gear of the AOD), and MPH you think you will trap and it will tell you what rpm you will be turning at that speed, or say you only want to spin your engine to 5,800 rpm, and you can plug that in and it will tell you what your top speed is in 3rd.

well thank you all for the responses, um as long as i can cross the line in 3rd i will stick with the 4.10s --and another good point, i can raise the tire height to gain some mph if i have too. oh and as far as how often i will drive it--any day i can, i didnt buy a mustang too look at it(well part of it-LOL)--daily driver, strip , u know i dont mind paying for gas, its worth the fun.
as a great mustang enthusiest so elegantly said, "dont fear the gear!"
and i wont. lol thanx again