SSP chase cars used for U-2 plane

strattoc

Jan 8, 2011
Cali
I found this and I couldnt believe it. I work on this jet right now and when I first got here we had camaros and gtos to chase it and now we primarily use G8's. When I saw this picture my I was floored, too bad I wasnt around when they decomissioned those cars, even though knowing the air force probably crushed them, thats what they do to our tool boxes, either that or they tell us that and some chief has it in his garage lol. I hope to ride in one of our chase cars while I'm deployed, in another deployed location we use
mitsubishi evo's. They reach speeds up to 140 mph to catch the jet.
View attachment 185645
View attachment 185646
chase1.jpg

Heres a video to give you an idea of what they are doing YouTube - ‪U-2 Dragon Lady: Landings‬‏

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, I've read about that before. They used them to help land the planes. A pilot would drive the car and radio up to the pilot in the plane and give him information on how close they were the the ground, etc. Pretty badass.

I bet there are still a couple of them stashed in a hangar somewhere.

I bet there are still a couple of them stashed in a hangar somewhere.

Hahaha, yeah they must be stashed with an SR-71, I've heard so many urban legends about that, but I've been every hangar on base except one and its where they put the T-38's..... that could be where they are at. I'm going to go to my commander and demand that they start using mustangs again, it be bad ass seeing a new 5.0 hauling butt down the flightline.

Hahaha, yeah they must be stashed with an SR-71, I've heard so many urban legends about that, but I've been every hangar on base except one and its where they put the T-38's..... that could be where they are at. I'm going to go to my commander and demand that they start using mustangs again, it be bad ass seeing a new 5.0 hauling butt down the flightline.

Hell yea, and you know the new 5.0 is faster than that other junk!

Jump in the way back time machine and take a trip with me... it's 1969 and the place is McCoy AFB, Orlando Fl.

Out on the flightline pumping several thousand gallons of AVgas into an EC-121, I get to see the resident U2 land. When it lands, the guys in the back of a SS 396 Chevy El Camino chase down the plane and put an outrigger landing wheel on each wing tip. The SS 396 Chevy El Camino was one of the fastest vehicles around that that time, and it was quite a sight to see it chase the U2 down the runway before the wingtips drooped enough to drag on the runway.

Jump in the way back time machine and take a trip with me... it's 1969 and the place is McCoy AFB, Orlando Fl.

Out on the flightline pumping several thousand gallons of AVgas into an EC-121, I get to see the resident U2 land. When it lands, the guys in the back of a SS 396 Chevy El Camino chase down the plane and put an outrigger landing wheel on each wing tip. The SS 396 Chevy El Camino was one of the fastest vehicles around that that time, and it was quite a sight to see it chase the U2 down the runway before the wingtips drooped enough to drag on the runway.

Wow, that is cool, 41 years later and we do the exact same thing, they are called pogo's, we still have a truck that follows the chase cars (amazing how a f-350 diesel keeps up with g8's) and they punch the pogos when it lands. The u-2 is old technology but boy is it reliable, we keep getting told globalcock is going to replace us, but then why did they send most of them to a museum already?

no haha, they are something that drops off as the jet takes off, and the crew picks them up off the runway, when the jet lands the chase car guides the pilot to land so that the wing tips to contact the ground and after the jet taxis to the end of the runway the crew re-inserts the pogo's so it can taxi to the hangar. because of the setup I can move a wing up and down by myself, this thing is a bicycle with long ass wings lol.