• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Staggered Rear Shocks

  • Thread starter Thread starter 69 Rustang
  • Start date Start date Dec 29, 2004

69 Rustang

Member
Jun 9, 2004
307
0
16
Orange County California
Dec 29, 2004
#1
  • Dec 29, 2004
  • #1
I have been thinking about converting my 69 Fastback to have staggered rear shocks. One reason for doing this is to help with rear axle windup on launches. Of course I can and probably will buy Cal-Traks or some other traction device--so the staggered shocks really aren't necessary. This brings me to the second reason for doing this--hey, I'm a guy! I want to do it because I think I can do it...

I don't think it would be too hard, but maybe I haven't thought it all the way through. I have been trying to collect pictures of cars with factory staggered shocks, but good pictures are few and far between. I was thinking of purchasing a lower shock mounting plate for the right side and just flipping it around to use on the left. Seems like that would work for the lower mounting point. Attached is the best picture I have of the upper mount. Has anyone tried this? Got any better pictures of the upper mount/support braces I would need to fabricate? How thick/what guage is the metal on a factory installation? Thanks for any help!
 
1

10secgoal

Active Member
Dec 1, 2003
2,801
3
49
San Diego
Dec 29, 2004
#2
  • Dec 29, 2004
  • #2
69 Rustang said:
I have been thinking about converting my 69 Fastback to have staggered rear shocks. One reason for doing this is to help with rear axle windup on launches. Of course I can and probably will buy Cal-Traks or some other traction device--so the staggered shocks really aren't necessary.
I think the calt-tracs will do a better job, even if you do get this done. But if you want to just cause, well then what can ya do ?
Click to expand...
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Suspension Harsh Ride
  • PonyGTrider
  • Mar 20, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2 3 4
Replies
62
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 11, 2026
Noobz347
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
409
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
P
rear Impact absorbers.
  • Praetorious
  • May 4, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
197
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 5, 2026
Praetorious
P
Front Coil Overs and Rear Traditional Springs within a Maximum Motorsports K-Member Kit
  • Habu135
  • Sep 7, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
647
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 9, 2026
Habu135
C
Suspension Rear suspension help
  • Clark302
  • Aug 17, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
406
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 17, 2025
Clark302
C
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?