Stang Wont Start, Need Help PLEASE

getnast012

Feb 11, 2009
I have a 2001 GT, it sat for about 3 weeks with out starting it. The battery died, i charged it up... no big deal. Now all the engine will do is turn over. I can spray starter fluid in the throttle body and it will start but will run very rough and will not stay started for more than 5 minutes. If i try to hit the gas or put it in gear it will immediately stall. I ran the codes, it came up as "Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Failure". I replaced the sensor... Got me no where. I changed the fuel filter and air filter, same thing. The Same code still comes up even after clearing it. Can anyone PLEASEEEE help me? Im out of ideas. Thanks so much

• Sponsors (?)

does it have gas in it? haha just kidding

anyways, does it need the starter fluid to be sprayed in it to start? or can you do it with out it. You might wanna check to see if your Idle air control is working properly if you can get it started w/out spraying the fluid, granted, the throttle plate is opened.

are you also getting enough fuel pressure? and are the fuel injectors clogged up?

does it have gas in it? haha just kidding

anyways, does it need the starter fluid to be sprayed in it to start? or can you do it with out it. You might wanna check to see if your Idle air control is working properly if you can get it started w/out spraying the fluid, granted, the throttle plate is opened.

are you also getting enough fuel pressure? and are the fuel injectors clogged up?

that ONLY way it will start is if i give it some starter fluid, i dont know how much fuel pressure im getting. if i just turn it to the on position and press the valve no gas comes out

When you turn your key to the run position, can you hear the fuel pump kick on? You should be able to hear it run for a few seconds before it pressurizes the system.

If it will only start with lighter fluid (I wouldnt keep doing this), its a fuel issue. You're cranking, and its not getting fuel. A code will ONLY set that fast most of the time if its a wiring issue. My advice is first before you dig in too much or throw more parts at it, check your fuses or even switch around some relays. Go over your connectors to be sure nothing is loose, and inspect the harness. Start with the SIMPLE and EASY and go from there.

Hope this helps.