Stang wont start

Turkey Sammich

I can't fap normal. I cracked a rib, then my ankle
Jul 12, 2006
I don't know the whole story, but my old lady took the car to work this morning. She woke me up and told me it wouldn't start. I went outside (In a major downfall, wind, darkness, ect.) to investigate. It would just click when you attempted to turn it over.

I popped the hood, checked the wires best I could, and when I checked the connections on the battery, I was able to get the lights back on. However, still just clicking. I plan on going back over it once the rains die down and it's light. What should I check?

• Sponsors (?)

No Crank checklist for 5.0 Mustangs

Since some of the tests will bypass the safety interlocks, make sure that the car is in neutral and the parking brake is set. Becoming a pancake isn’t part of the repair process…

Check battery, terminal connections, ground, starter relay switch (also known as solenoid) and starter in that order. The clamp on with 2 bolts battery terminal ends are a know problem causer.

A voltmeter is handy if you are familiar with how to use it to find bad connections. Measure the voltage drop across a connection while trying to start the car: more than .5 volts across a connection indicates a problem.
See http://www.fluke.com/application_notes/automotive/circuit.asp?AGID=1&SID=103 for help for help troubleshooting voltage drops across grounds.
fig-7.gif

1.) Will the car start if it is jumped? Then clean battery terminals and check battery.

2.) Check the battery to engine block ground, and the ground behind the engine to the firewall.

3.) Jump the big terminals on the starter relay next to the battery with a screwdriver - watch out for the sparks! If the engine cranks, the starter and power wiring is good. The starter relay is also known as a starter solenoid.

4.) Then pull the small push on connector (small red/blue wire) off the starter solenoid (Looks like it is stuck on a screw). Then jump between the screw and the terminal that is connected to the battery. If it starts, the relay is good and your problem is in the rest of the circuit.

5.) Remember to check the ignition switch, neutral safety switch on auto trans and the clutch safety switch on manual trans cars. If they are good, then you have wiring problems.
Typical start circuit...
Diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds
attachment.php

See http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195963.gif for 88-90 year cars
See http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195964.gif for 91-93 year cars.
See http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1d/db/3c/0900823d801ddb3c.jsp for 94-95 model cars.

6.) The starter may be hung, loosen up the bolts that hold it on, and give it a good whack with a big hammer. Tighten up the bolts and try again.

7.) Pull the starter and take it to Autozone or Pep Boys and have them test it. Starter fails test, then replace it. If you got this far, the starter is probably bad.

I've had this same problem for the entire life of my car. The solenoid would click and all the lights would go out. Since I don't have a tester (I need to buy one) I just started replacing things.

I've replaced the solenoid 2 or 3 times this past 1 1/2 years. I've replaced the negative battery cable. I replaced the battery (this really was bad) and I've tested the starter.

Finally this past weekend I found out my problem: Bad Positive battery cable. I just replaced it over the weekend and the car starts better than its ever started.

get it started yet?

I can get it to start, but it wont turn right over. You have to turn the key and hold it there until it starts. Takes just a few seconds. Then sits between 500-800RPMS until you give it some gas and warm it up. Going to test the battery after I get out of the office.

I can get it to start, but it wont turn right over. You have to turn the key and hold it there until it starts. Takes just a few seconds. Then sits between 500-800RPMS until you give it some gas and warm it up. Going to test the battery after I get out of the office.

Do you mean it will crank but not catch?
Or do you have issues simply getting it to turn over?

I only ask since Jrichker will pull out his other checklist if it's the former issue.

Good luck.

Alright. Just tested the battery. Battery is fine. I just started it up and it fired right up. It was just clicking before when you turned the key, and then it would start.

check battery cables, and the ground cable. What kinda condition are your grounds in? do you have any? take a set of jumper cables, hook the negative end to the battery, and the other negative end to a solid metal object on the motor(such as the alt bracket, etc..), then turn it over...did it help? i really doubt it's the ignition switch but who knows..