StangNet Notchback Project Ideas?

MRaburn

Founder
Admin Dude
Nov 29, 1999
Auburn, AL
Hey guys,

I think we are about to start working on the 89 Coupe we have here at the shop at StangNet.

The car body wise is in great shape and probably does not need paint. But rather trim replacement and interior upgrades.

Question is what to do about powertrain. The 5.0 in there is a solid motor but is stock and has the late miles on it (100k plus).

I am wondering how far to take it and what to do.

Should we go for a crate motor from FRT? or put in the 4.6L Cobra motor I have here that we pulled from our Mach1 racer? It has less than 200 miles on the motor and it's a SHM built block and has Mach1 heads and etc.

I also happen to have an entire Mach1 interior, seats, trim, dash, console etc etc.

Could do one of those crazy conversions?

We also have a new rear end for it, 3.73 gears, a TKO500 in a box and more.

What ya think!

• Sponsors (?)

Is the Cobra motor supercharged? If not, I say that motor with a turbo and make 600+ at the rear wheels. Mach 1 shaker hood scoop, stripes, and wheels (preferably aftermarket with 17X9s or 10s in the back and 8s in the front). Don't know what color the car is, but a black lx spoiler would complete the Mach 1 look.

Or put a stroked FRPP Boss block in it with the hood scoop and different wheels and call it a "Boss 331-347-363".

You see the fox terminator more often than you do the Mach 1 (not sure I ever have). I say use what you've got and do the Mach 1 swap.

Stangnet has a shop?! PICS!! how is this getting funded? Some sweet project mach1 tshirts may help fund for some of it, i'd buy one if you make one in black. I would definitely do the mach 1 engine though. Maybe throw a vortech on it and call it a day. A dash swap may not be worth it, but seats would.

Stangnet has a shop?! PICS!! how is this getting funded? Some sweet project mach1 tshirts may help fund for some of it, i'd buy one if you make one in black. I would definitely do the mach 1 engine though. Maybe throw a vortech on it and call it a day. A dash swap may not be worth it, but seats would.

Ever heard of Pro3 Industries, or Planet Magnaflow? :)

Is this really a Tech thread?

:hide:

:D

If you feel like going through all the hassle of dropping that Cobra motor in there, I say go for it; otherwise, it might be cheaper/easier just to build on what you've got. If I were all awesomely rich and stuff and had that kinda choice to make, I'd just freshen up the stock block and bolt on a bunch of goodies, and call it good. :nice:

Thanks for all the ideas guys... :) Really got me thinking about the Mach Fox, would wonder how that would turn out and look? I was really hoping for an old school carb setup. :) No emissions in Alabama so I could run the gambit there.

As for the 'shop', back in the day we had Partshopper.com and had a warehouse and shop area. Well now we just have the shop area. It holds my 67, the 89 coupe and has a lift. All kinds of OEM stuff sittin around, a 428 block, 460, Mach1 4.6L, and all kinds of Mustang goodies, all remnants of the Mustang parts business and just being a Mustang guy.

Man that would take some work to get that late model Mach1 interior in there... the dash we know a pita, and the seats would have to be lowered some.

Got me thinking though, somehow get a shaker setup on the Mach1 engine. The Notch is the Dove grey color like the interceptor cars (looked for clues, its not an interceptor.)

Ill post some more pics and let's see where this can go.

Heck I even have late model lower control arms and spindles, rear cobra brakes, a rear end or 2 to do a 5 lug conversion.

I've never really thought about all those parts for this coupe, but now that I have it's like a treasure trove!

Mike

Man I'd love to come check that shop out.

From what I've seen shakers look like CRAP on foxes, maybe if it had a little bit of a cowl with the shaker coming out it may look good.

Glad to see you still have projects that you're working on. I agree with most in using what you have, that 4.6 you mentioned is a great power plant and you should use some of the interior parts as well. I wouldnt mess with pulling the dash maybe modify the soft portion on the passenger side to blend in with the mach1 interior.

I will be stopping by next time I get a trip into town....good luck with it!