Starter issues

cheapstang

Jul 11, 2004
Omaha, Nebraska
Over the last couple months my car has left me stranded due to it not starting. The key goes in the ignition and i try to crank it over and the gauges go all retarded, The lights dim and alls i can hear is just little clicking noises that sound like someone buzzing with their lips coming from the engine bay. The lights work fine, but then i put the key on and just turn it enough to turn on the fuel pump on and it makes the buzzing noise and goes retarded again. We checked all the solenoids, replaced the starter, got the battery tested and checked a majority of the wiring for shorts and such... Does anyone have a clue what my problem could be?

It has happened before so we roughed up the metal underneath one of the ground wires, the ones that are about 2 inches infont (towards the front) of the battery. That worked till now...

Thanks in advance... were all stumped so we took it to Jensen tire right next to where it stalled out.

-kyle

• Sponsors (?)

My truck did the EXACT same thing a while back. I got the batt tested and they said it was good. After being left stranded a few times I changed the batt and it never did it again.

The same thing happened to my friend.

In other words the battery test suck ass.

After the comment about buzzing lips, I couldnt pay attention anymore. :D

I agree about making super sure the battery is up to par. I find that a jumper battery and jumper cables can help. See if the jumper battery helps. If not, you can carefully use jumper cables in parallel with existing cables. If it helps, one of the cables you're paralleling is likely deficient.

The motor ground is one place to really look. One can put a jumper from the negative battery terminal to the engine and see if it helps.

Good luck.

rule of thumb that was passed on to me that I have only seen it be true...

any time the starter just clicks, try turing on your headlights and try again. If it clicks faster then it is the battery.

Anytime you get a battery tested, all they do is a load test. You could have 2 dead cells and the load test will say OK. A specific gravity test (hydrometer) is the only way to test a lead-acid battery IMO.

And ditto x 10 on running a new temporary ground or cleaning the existing ones.
Scott