• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Starter noise

  • Thread starter Thread starter stangman16
  • Start date Start date Apr 1, 2005

stangman16

Active Member
Nov 16, 2004
640
4
29
San Antonio, TX
Apr 1, 2005
#1
  • Apr 1, 2005
  • #1
I have a '66 mustang coupe with a 302 with electronic ignition system and i recently had to replace the starter solenoid because my car would not crank over. I just hooked up the new solenoid and went to test it out, and I let it crank for 1 second, didn't want to start the engine with the garage closed. But immediantly after I heard some knocking noise, I'm guessing it's the starter as it sounds like it is coming from the pass side of the engine. Is this a typical noise to hear? It knocked for about 8 times before I disconnected the battery. I have a starter from a 90's mustang I believe, its not the big heavy one like I used to have. I had to replace it with this one because of the heddman headers I have.

Also, it's fairly hard to start this engine, I have to crank it for about 15-30 seconds on and off to get it started. I have plane jane 302 heads, 8.9:1 comp., with and edelbrock 1402 carb, and a torquer 289 intake. The battery has 720 cranking amps, and 575 cold cranking amps. I've gone thru numberous batteries and starters since 2001. Any suggestions are very welcome, thanks!
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
85 mustang 5.0 cranking in run position
  • Mamaclean
  • May 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
201
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 1, 2026
General karthief
M
2004 v8 convertible
  • Mikeycrownvicluver
  • Feb 12, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
11
Views
484
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Feb 15, 2026
Mikeycrownvicluver
M
C
Electrical HELP! 1989 5.0 Stick, Voltage Bleed onto Ignition Trigger wire
  • ChickenDeluxe
  • May 14, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
328
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 24, 2026
ChickenDeluxe
C
4
86 gt replaced fuel pump won’t prime / amp drops in key on position
  • 4eye86fox
  • Jan 10, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
367
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 12, 2026
Noobz347
Electrical Mini-Starter Wiring
  • RekeHavoc
  • Jul 25, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 24, 2025
Mustang5L5
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?