starter problem after bad motor sway :( wow

I swapped motors after i broke a valve on my 5.0. After having everything ready got it started and it was leaking anti freeze from the back of the upper. Fixed that and tried to start it but the starter was just grinding!!! ugh horrible sound turns out the thread were bad for the top starter bolt so the bolt came loose. Quick thinking instead of dropping the tranny i used right angle drill and drilled out the piece of bolt stuck in there. Now my starter grinds so it must be off since i used a bolt and nut??? if it is it couldn't be by much at all cuz it didnt take much drilling....I also swapped the solenoid as well with the same result..oh and swapped starters too...same thing..any suggestions to diagnose?

• Sponsors (?)

its the same starter that was on there..mines an 86 motor came from a thunderbird 93 i think but i put my flywheel on it....arent the starters the same.I have three of them and theyre all the same...i can see it but how do i know if its meshing properly???

you have some kind of meshing issue. shavings are hopefully from the starter. easier/cheaper to replace.

from under the car, you should be able to see if i recall correctly. if you want to keep the issue as simple as possible. dont keep cranking it over. guy did that with my last foxbody before i got it. he took out the flywheel with it.

idk what to do now though i already tried another starter which is exactly the same and the once i originally had in there does the same thing. Same flywheel same starter....Any other suggestions? So frustrating i just about have it ready to drive. I need to get it cranking so i can time it then i can drive and its getting cold and no garage!!! Thanks for any help

well putting it into an equation... if the starter and flywheel you started with worked fine before, and another starter doesn't fix it.. that leaves just the flywheel as the culprit.

you said the top mounting hole is stripped? the starter will flex with only one bolt in there and cause the issues your having. is it securely mounted/aligned properly for certain?

its possible its off but if it is it would be like 1/16 of an inch couldnt be much. Assuming that is the problem-whats the best way to check and make sure its right when i put it back in? I put a bolt and nut in for that bolt hole but it sure looks centered...

i'd look first to see where the shavings are from. i'll bet its flexing that bolt/nut back and forth since you removed the threads.

i don't know how to remedy that, you'll have to wait for someone more knowledgeable on that.

drop the starter out and inspect the surfaces of the flywheel and starter gear. see which one is getting chewed. sounds like you might need a new bellhousing.