Suspension Steering column clock spring

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Just wondering if my 83 GLX steering column has a clock spring in it?? Doing my best not to let it spin as I prep it for paint, but I wonder if I have to be?? ... I understand most on here have new foxes....
I believe all of it including the steering wheel is factory OEM.....

DSCF1318.JPG
DSCF1317.JPG
DSCF1316.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Are you asking if you could damage the clock spring by letting the steering wheel turn?
It's not like a 'clock spring' that would be on a clock. You really can't 'unwind' it.
Is that what you mean?
General not sure what I mean because I have no experience with steering clock springs....
My understanding is its a way for the wiring to keep electrical contact without having actual wires to get wound up
I " thought" I had read somewhere that if you crank the steering wheel too many times in one direction or the other you can damage or break the " clock spring" ..... ?? Help me please.......

No, those have contact plates like the 89 below cars. Clock springs came out with air bags and use a ribbon cable on a spool for the electrical connection to the air bags in the steering wheel that needs to be centered when installed . its just like you center a rack because it only has so much range of motion.

Reactions: 1 users
Work on new junk enough and you will really miss cars that where built with KISS principles.
When you grow up with the "KISS" principles, the new stuff just doesn't float your boat...... I feel like I lucked out with this 83 I inherited... Most of the time its very simple stuff ( Carb, NO power windows, NO cruise and multiple other things I don't need in this car) and most of the time its " new " enough to have the improvements over the " older" fox bodies ( 82 back)

The clockspring only has enough gold plated ribbon wire for 5 complete turns
That is why you have to center it, or better yet, do not let it turn and need to be re centered
Some of the early air bag cars had both slip sings and a closkspring

The clockspring only has enough gold plated ribbon wire for 5 complete turns
That is why you have to center it, or better yet, do not let it turn and need to be re centered
Some of the early air bag cars had both slip sings and a closkspring
Explain the 'ribbon wire' part.
Is this only on air bag cars?

I see, not ribbon wire like a home computer has
It's plastic coated paper with 2 small lines of gold stuck down to the paper
Then clear plastic coated for insulation
The 83 you are working on Limp, has no clockspring

Reactions: 1 user