Steering Column Moves Up/down

Okay so i have searched all over the internet for this and have had no luck. Lets start by letting you know what i have. 1991 GT 5.0 5 speed swap from AOD done about 3 years ago.

So now for my issue. A few weeks ago my clutch cable seemed like it was starting to stretch. When i was at stop lights i had it in gear with the clutch pushed in my car would start to pull forward with the clutch to the floor. So, i adjusted the clutch cable (because my cable is adjustable). I didn't adjust it much just about 3/4 of a turn.

When i got back into the car to test, everything seemed perfect! i took it for a test drive and it was shifting great and was fight from a stop. clutch engaged about 1-2" off the floor. Almost home i stopped at a light and when i pushed in the clutch it felt as if it was hitting against something under the dash. even making a metal grinding noise. sounded like it was coming from the clutch pedal assembly. when i got home i noticed that when i stopped in my driveway i had it in 1st and the clutch was pushed in it seemed like it was shuddering like the clutch was engaging more and then it died. after i took my foot off the clutch i noticed the steering wheel could move up and down now (around 2" of play) but not left or right. When i push up on the steering wheel while pushing in the clutch it seems to shift better, but if i don't push up it will not even go into 1st or 2nd gear.

After further inspection i found a bracket up and to the left of where the steering column enters the firewall. this bracket looks like it was bent until it broke in half. I uploaded a picture. its the best i can do until i can get the drivers seat out. im 6'5" 300 lbs haha. hard to get in there.

Clutch bracket.jpg

Does this sound like the culperate behind my issue? Thank you so much in advance just for taking the time to read this wall of text!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure what that bracket is from the picture, but it's directly below the quadrant, so there is a good chance it's your problem.

FYI, the steering column bolts to the clutch pedal assembly, then to the brake booster at the firewall. If you're having issues with clutch engagement and steering column movement, I'd first look at all the bolts.

Drop the hood pull handle...two nuts...under that, the steering column bolts to the pedal assembly with two large nuts...ensure those are tight. If they are, inspect the 4 brake booster nuts on the inside of the firewall and make sure those are tight.

IF they all are, I'd suspect something on the clutch pedal assembly broke. I'd remove and inspect the entire assembly...any 82+ clutch pedal assembly will work if yours is broken