steering rack & autocross question

lietuvis91

Aug 4, 2004
NO, LA
the steering rack on my stang makes a cracking noise when I turn the wheel. The suspension squeeks in the front too. I drive the car, but i think it may be dangerous. I plan to autocross my stang, so I would like more precise treering, cuz stock is like sloppy sex! Does anyone make a performance rack for the sn95? I'm NOT willing to go with manual rack. Can you guys recommend any components to improve the steering response, even if i have get a new STOCK steering rack. let me know !

• Sponsors (?)

donjohn said:
ford power steering pumps are known to wine
no, this thing is CRACKING, :shrug: like a piece of wood being bent in half, that's why i think it may not be very safe, and I probably need a new steering rack. I saw steeda makes balljoints?? anyone have those? do any of you guys use your stangs for other than drag racing?

Hey man, im planning on autoxing the cobra too and my steering rack pops, not cracks, when i turn the wheel. The problem with mine is the toe end links. Just buy a bumpsteer kit off of steeda and that should fix your problem. Also look into some offset steering rack bushings; they will raise your steering rack and prevent it from sagging, therefore preventing bumpsteer.

fiveo'cobra said:
Hey man, im planning on autoxing the cobra too and my steering rack pops, not cracks, when i turn the wheel. The problem with mine is the toe end links. Just buy a bumpsteer kit off of steeda and that should fix your problem. Also look into some offset steering rack bushings; they will raise your steering rack and prevent it from sagging, therefore preventing bumpsteer.

what's a bumpsteer kit exactly? and does installing offset streering rack bushings involve disassembling the steering rack or is that just an add-on, what's a good brand?

lietuvis91 said:
what's a bumpsteer kit exactly? and does installing offset streering rack bushings involve disassembling the steering rack or is that just an add-on, what's a good brand?

A bumpsteer kit is basically a set of better toe end links on the steering rack. The stock ones are fairly weak and tend to suck when a car is lowered. When you put on some steering rack bushings, you do have to take off some stuff some stuff yes, like the wheels and most of the outside assembly, but you do not have to disassemble the entire rack or anything like that. I got mine from "energy suspension." They sell all kinds of bushings and i knew they were a good company. So far they are working great. They raised my steering rack by about 1/2 and inch and now it doesn't sag anymore.

good luck

fiveo'cobra said:
A bumpsteer kit is basically a set of better toe end links on the steering rack. The stock ones are fairly weak and tend to suck when a car is lowered. When you put on some steering rack bushings, you do have to take off some stuff some stuff yes, like the wheels and most of the outside assembly, but you do not have to disassemble the entire rack or anything like that. I got mine from "energy suspension." They sell all kinds of bushings and i knew they were a good company. So far they are working great. They raised my steering rack by about 1/2 and inch and now it doesn't sag anymore.

good luck

HEy thanx fiveo'cobra, that's exactly the info I was looking for :nice: . If anyone else has done anything else to improve steering or can suggest anything else for it then please post.
... I think a good coilover setup is what I'll be investing in next, I know it can be xpensive, but I wanna do it once and do it right. If any of you guys have coilovers, then post you impressions, any streetability issues?