Steering vibration?

• Sponsors (?)

Tire(s) out of balance. Bad tires/slipped belts. Bent wheel. Hub bearing(s).

How bad would you rate the vibration? At what speed does it occur? Does it get worse as you continue to speed up?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
around 50-60mph, i dont think it gets worse. Id say its just mildly annoying. I just put new wheels/tires on.

I did struts, sway bar end links and lowering springs within the last two years but tie rod and ball joints are OG.

around 50-60mph, i dont think it gets worse. Id say its just mildly annoying. I just put new wheels/tires on.

I did struts, sway bar end links and lowering springs within the last two years but tie rod and ball joints are OG.

New wheels and tires? Have you gone back to the shop that did the install? That would be the first thing I would do. It's always possible that they didn't get them balanced correctly, or that it chucked a loose wheel weight shortly after you took it.

EDIT: What kind of wheels are they? Perhaps they are bent due to poor manufacturing or shipping damage. You'd think the shop would pick up on that, but being in the Auto industry I can tell you that parts quality since the pandemic has gone into the toilet. One way to tell if it is a wheel or tire problem would be to rotate the tires. If the shake in the wheel goes away, then it points towards one of the (now REAR) wheels or tires being the culprit.

Definitely mud in the tires. JK. Also have a shop check your outer tie rods. When they start to go they won't hold an alignment. Could also be bald spots on tires. Did you slam on the brakes and slide recently? I'm sure they balanced them but you never know. Also, are you sure it's not the road? There are some roads that are worn bad that cause vibrations for me, but on a good road it's perfectly fine. Are you sure all your tires have the correct air pressure? Readjust your steering wheel?

Check around and see if any of the shops in your area do road force balancing. It's way better than a regular balance. It puts a roller on the tire and reads tire run-out too. A tire can zero balance but still cause a vibration because the high point of the tire is at the high point of the rim.

Check around and see if any of the shops in your area do road force balancing. It's way better than a regular balance. It puts a roller on the tire and reads tire run-out too. A tire can zero balance but still cause a vibration because the high point of the tire is at the high point of the rim.
Truck shops do more of this type of balancing

Yeah, most truck tire shops can 'true' the tire, on trucks that use 10 ply tires and heavier they will last longer, run smoother. It's less of an issue with car/light truck type tires, I have seen some egg shaped tires but they may bounce more than vibrate.