Steering Wheel Changeout

Rjaaaaaa

Jul 11, 2016
So now that the car is running pretty good I'd like to change out the steering wheel but seems there is a difference with the GT.
What is the difference? I've never had the horn cover off to look but when looking at replacement wheels some say that they will not fit the 1988 GT model.

• Sponsors (?)

What won't fit right on an '88GT? What particular wheel are you trying to put on?

No, there is no difference between a 4 cyl '88 LX and GT steering wheel. The steering wheels interchange. There is a 3 ring contact plate with fingers that ride on it that does the horn and cruise, but all models are set up for it.

What won't fit right on an '88GT? What particular wheel are you trying to put on?

No, there is no difference between a 4 cyl '88 LX and GT steering wheel. The steering wheels interchange. There is a 3 ring contact plate with fingers that ride on it that does the horn and cruise, but all models are set up for it.
I was looking on ebay and the adds said that some of the wheels would fit the lx but not the gt, that's why I was asking.

88 gt is one of the easiest to swap. no air bag to mess with.
Why do most of the steering wheels sold on ebay say they will not fit the GT but do fit the LX?
Check it out!
ebay sellers disclaimer;
This part is not compatible with 1988 Ford Mustang GT Convertible 2-Door 5.0L 302Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated.

Last edited:
just to calm your fears, call Grant, Momo or the other companies and ask them if the steering wheel fits a GT as well as an LX. I cannot imagine any reason why it would not. The same steering column and wheel are intstalled from the on both models. the only difference are the ground effects and fog lights.