steering wheel / horn ring install. how difficult?

fox-gt

Feb 28, 2004
TN
I got my new steering wheel, horn ring assembly and turn signal switch. My current steering when is broke and bent, the horn ring is bent (horn doesn't work either), the turn signal switch is broke. How hard is it going to be to install my new goodies or should I have a shop do it?

Thanks !

• Sponsors (?)

I believe that you will need a steering wheel/harmonic balancer puller. I know Sears sells them, but Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Advance Auto, etc. might sell them too.

I've replaced my steering wheel before to a Grant GT wheel(too small really) probably 14 years ago. It wasn't too difficult. I don't know about the turn signal switch though. That one might take some more effort.

Randall

The steering wheel and horn ring themselves are about the easiest thing in the world to swap. The turn signal wiring stuff is a bit more involved, but it really isn't that bad. You just have to cut/disconnect the wiring where it enters the steering column down under the dash, and run the new wiring down the column and do a little simple wiring work. Pretty easy really.

Dont do it that way....thats a little harder. The best way to do it is to rap a string around the wires where they connect down at the bottom of the column. Then pull them up through the column so you have the string at the top of the column. THen with your new turn signal switch tape the ends of the wires with masking tape and tie the string around the new wires and pull the string back through the steering column and all the wires will be down at the bottom. Easiest way to do it.