Steering wheel violent shake persists

Falon872

Nov 17, 2018
Austin tx
It’s amazing that no one has solved the old violent steering wheel shake on the classic mustang and cougars. I have one that didn’t have this problem for 18 years then developed it. I commenced to rebuild the entire front end of the car. And the problem is still there. As long as I drive straight and don’t hit any bad bumps it’s good. But any turn of the wheel or big bump in the road and. It goes out of control. I literely have to slam on the brakes before having an accident. Everything has been replaced. NO improvement. I an ASE. Master auto tech and this one has me stumped. I keep wanting to blame he ole power steering setup but it’s been replaced. Anyone got a clue. It’s totally unsafe to drive..

• Sponsors (?)

what alignment settings are you using? have you balanced the tires? have you made sure the tires are actually round? have you checked the wheels bearings? have the front brakes been upgraded to granada disc brakes?

i am going to go out on a ledge here and suggest there is a geometry problem here causing this.

I dunno about the steering wheel shake, maybe motor mounts? Shaking while driving or idling?

As far as the crazy steering goes, when I did the granada disc brake swap my car started doing that. Crazy bumpsteer now but awesome power brakes lol. I think my steering box may be going, but it felt fine before the swap. Def a geometry problem, hears doing the shelby drop may help. Lowers the front upper control arm 1"

shem

Check CASTER! Mustangs have very little positive caster and if it gets knocked out of alignment, you are trying to push a grocery cart backwards with the wheels locked. Ever watch a cart wheel "jiggle" as Mom grocery shops? THAT is possibly what is happening to your frontend. Dial in what the manual says then add 2 degrees. Problem solved.

Reactions: 1 user
Check CASTER! Mustangs have very little positive caster and if it gets knocked out of alignment, you are trying to push a grocery cart backwards with the wheels locked. Ever watch a cart wheel "jiggle" as Mom grocery shops? THAT is possibly what is happening to your frontend. Dial in what the manual says then add 2 degrees. Problem solved.

charlie is right on this one. the early cars need at least 4 degrees of caster, 5 would be better.

Thanks. Ha vent tried that one yet. The suspension and steeeri g is all oe replament parts with no modifications. So an alignment is in order. I will let you know if it solves the problem