Stick or Auto

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the boards. I would recommend doing a search - this has been done by many. For the price of a rebuilt auto, one can do the swap to a manual.

Good luck.

The conversion costs about as much as getting a new Lentech trans. You need the trans, shifter, clutch, linkage, flywheel, peddle, drive shaft, EEC computer. These guys sell a kit. Note that for $1900 the only NEW parts in the kit are the clutch and the pilot bearing.
http://www.mpsautosalvage.com/products/list.cfm?TypeID=40

I'd get a Lentech 7000-4R70-STT for $2500, it's good to 700HP or the stock replacement 7000-4R70-CRS that is good for 400HP is $2000 http://www.lentechautomatics.com/

it cost me 1600$ for parts which included some of the following:
fresh rebuilt T5 tranny with upgraded 2nd and 3rd gear
aluminum flywheel
new KC clutch
almost new MGW shifter
pro 50 quadrant and fw adjuster

it was a nice upgrade from the AODE

for that same 2500, you could just about swap into a tremec tko setup... im doing my t-5 swap (currently in progress) for about 1900 which includes pro 5.0 shifter, new: flywheel, king cobra clutch kit, quadrant, cable, and firewall adjuster, new bolts and hardware, and a rebuilt t-5 with upgraded internals. and everything else used (bellhousing, eec comp, harness, pedal assembly, shift boots, etc... personally, having driven a 94 with both set-ups, i would suggest the swap (obvious by what im doing with my car) good luck, and if you dont mind the self-shifter, those lentech's can be pretty nice too, but the cost of both the trans and valvebody + the ratchet shifter IMO isnt worth it. good luck

The swap is not that hard depending upon your experience. I think MPS has a magazine article on their website that tells how to do the swap.

I was able to get the complete set-up for $600 from a guy who posted on our local dragstrip's message board. The only thing I had to buy was the pilot bearing. Look around locally and see if you can find someone who wants to go automatic. The T-5 conversion and 3:73 gears were the 2 best swaps done on my car.