Drivetrain stiff clutch

CLUTCH WAY TO STIFF! from what i know about the car it is the original but not 100% sure on that. looking to change the clutch to get something a little softer and more fun to drive. possible stage 1 clutch since i am going to be modifying the engine soon. been doing some searching and researching but i am new to the clutch game and don't know all that much. my engine was replaced by a previous owner and now has a 1971 302 sitting in it (not sure if that makes a difference) looking for some help in what to get and what i am going to need to do the swap. thanks to everyone in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Do you still have the 4-speed transmission?
If it's a v8 with the RAD4 transmission then you might have difficulty finding any clutch at all much less have options to choose from.
If you have a T5 swap then you have better options, I like the Valeo King Cobra clutch (good holding power for up to 600hp with a lighter-than-stock clutch pedal feel).

Do you still have the 4-speed transmission?
If it's a v8 with the RAD4 transmission then you might have difficulty finding any clutch at all much less have options to choose from.
If you have a T5 swap then you have better options, I like the Valeo King Cobra clutch (good holding power for up to 600hp with a lighter-than-stock clutch pedal feel).

yes it is a 4 speed. i was told by the previous owner that he thinks it is still the original trans but could be a replacement 4 speed? i have not had the time to get her in the air yet so i do not know any markings on it. i have done some thinking about doing a t5 swap so i can get better gas milage during cruise days and just overall not hurting the trans revving so high all the time. dont think im gonna get 600 out of her more in the 300 - 350 range...maybe a little more if i play my cards right but i will definitely look into that brand! do you have any recommendations on possible solutions on why the clutch would be so stiff?

Stiff clutch might be a bad cable (if it's frayed, etc.) or a rusted-up throwout bearing perhaps that doesn't slide very well on the input cover any longer. You could fix that with disassembly, a cleaning, and some grease.