Stock block Question

• Sponsors (?)

im thinking about when i rebuild it i want to make it a 306 and get some AFR heads and turbocharge it. any opinions on what size heads to get? im going to go with a single turbo kit from treadstone. i want about 400 HP. i also dont know what would be a good cam for this setup, any opinions?:shrug:

a good intake manifold and turbo will easily make 400rwhp on a fresh stock longblock in a stick car. ive done it. i also got my buddies stock motor 95gt to make 370rwhp with a completely stock motor from tb to pan through the aode with a 62mm at 9lbs of boost.

the long and the short of it is that if you run a set of heads on it, if you arent on top of the tune its real easy to split the block.

stock cam and turbo work very well together. i would rebuild the stock longblock, use the stock heads with a good valvejob and fresh valvesprings and leave them alone. port work by someone who knows what they are doing will cost more than its worth IMO. if someone who doesnt know what they are doing does the port work its very easy to make them worse. more cross section without the knowledge of how to keep the reversion and turbulence at a minimum will make things worse.

put a spyder intake and a turbo on a fresh stock longblock and call it a day for now. 400rwhp will be easy. youll be able to turn up the boost a little and make 425-450. if you run heads on it, its not tough to make 440+ with it all the way turned down. and thats already on the edge of safety with the stock block if the tune isnt right.

run a stock motor and a turbo, get a handle on the tuning and if you want to run heads later then do it.

Im at 510 with a stock based DSS block. Im not going any higher. Its all in the tune, if you dont detonate you'll be fine! 500 rwhp is really the max, if you want to make more than that, I suggest a Dart or Ford Racing block!

im thinking about when i rebuild it i want to make it a 306 and get some AFR heads and turbocharge it. any opinions on what size heads to get? im going to go with a single turbo kit from treadstone. i want about 400 HP. i also dont know what would be a good cam for this setup, any opinions?:shrug:

Boost is extremly addictive!!! With a tubro on a set of AFR heads, i see you well above 400 hp

ive seen them crack as low as 440rwhp with a good tune and nothing wrong, and have had them live at 550rwhp for years with a ton of tension on the blower belt, with a stock crank and tuned on the edge. its a roll of the dice.

ive seen them crack as low as 440rwhp with a good tune and nothing wrong, and have had them live at 550rwhp for years with a ton of tension on the blower belt, with a stock crank and tuned on the edge. its a roll of the dice.

This.
All you want is 400hp, a stock block will be fine.
I will give you this piece of advice. I thought a stock block on mine would be enough, well I am on edge about pushing the motor anymore. Buy yourself the piece of mind and get a Dart, or Ford Racing 302R.

we put that top end on a friends stock shortblock car about a year ago. we were only able to get 270rwhp out of it.

on another friends 306 with 170cc TW heads, a track heat intake and an F cam we made 330rwhp.

so im not a big fan of either intake, and both of those cams suck.

my advise is to call fordstrokers and get a 347 longblock with some TFS 190cc fast as cast heads. that should make around 400rwhp.

we put that top end on a friends stock shortblock car about a year ago. we were only able to get 270rwhp out of it.

on another friends 306 with 170cc TW heads, a track heat intake and an F cam we made 330rwhp.

so im not a big fan of either intake, and both of those cams suck.

my advise is to call fordstrokers and get a 347 longblock with some TFS 190cc fast as cast heads. that should make around 400rwhp.

what cam should i go with for a 347 and 190cc heads?

if you run a engine from ford strokers he'll have a grind for the combo. you also have to take into account what intake you are planning on using.

i think im going to get an edelbrock intake. i like the RPM II but not sure yet. still pondering that. i looked at the ford strokers website, and i like what i see. i will def get the block from them. if it has 10.5:1 compression, does it need 93 octane?