stock fuel pump limit. and p.i head porting question

blksnake98

Apr 24, 2012
im new to the site.
hopefully i put this in the right place.

what i have is a 1998 mustang gt automatic.
i recently bought a 02 shortblock, 02 p.i heads, and a brand new turbo kit.
im going to 39lb injectors, and was wondering if my stock fuel pump (replaced about 3 years ago) can keep up?
what are its limit?

i plan on porting the heads slightly, and porting my zues svo intake manifold slightly to match up.
then running about 9-10lbs of boost through it.

also does anyone have any pics of how to lightly port the p.i heads.
itll be my first port job and i need a little play by play help.
all help is greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

i would suggest going with bigger injectors so if you decide to upgrade later you dont have to buy more. stock fuel pump with a boost-a-pump can handle 390 rwhp on a dynojet - i think that is about all she had.

i now have an svt focus pump with the boost-a-pump and 36 lb injectors. I ran out of injector at 5930 rpm... my a/f hit 12.0 at 6k (after i installed blower cams)

do yourself a favor, get a focus pump, boost-a-pump, and 60 lbers. otherwise you may go lean and cook your motor.

You can do a Walbro 255lph (or Focus SVT pump) and a KB boostapump (BAP) for security. You will def need to replace the stock pump. Some say you can run the stock pump with the BAP but you dont want the duty to always be high on the pump cause it will burn up. You could get away with 10psi with 39#s but you will prob be pushing it. Id definitely change the fuel rails if you are upgrading injectors. I agree with usaf, since you have the turbo and good intake I would just get the big injectors so you have room to grow. You could also take this approach to your fuel pump issue. Get a cobra tank and get the twin Ford GT pumps. Then you would have a fuel system to go up to about 800hp limited to your lines/rails. Would also have the option of running E85....All things to think about.

You can only make about 450 hp on the stock bottom end. Mine hung a piston with only 330hp but had 120K+ miles. Does your new block have forged internals? Im assuming not.

I dont have any experience in DIY porting. Ive heard you can do it with a dremel but the margin for error is small. You want all ports to be gaining the same area. A lot harder to do with your hand than for a machine to do.

I think the 39 pounders are a plenty for a stock bottom end. I find it strange that you guys are saying they aren't enough (please explain if I'm wrong). The 03-04 Cobras had 39 pound injectors, and lots of those cars are making upper 400s/lower 500s on the stock injectors.

But yes, get an SVT Focus pump. It's not expensive (~75 for a non-OEM one, ~150 for OEM), and very easy to swap.

Have you also considered the MAF? I'm pretty sure the stock one is running out before 400 rwhp.

sneaky98gt No, I agree with you. The 39#s can handle the power, but the fuel pump wont be able to keep the psi up in the lines at full duty. If he replaces the pump then I see no prob. I would def upgrade the MAF as well. I didnt know the stock one would even go that high?

If you are gunna spend the 300 on the 39#s you could spend another $90 and get 80#s so if he will want to really push some air through that motor at some point....which he WILL!

Mod fever, its an ugly beast.