Stock mufflers- Resonators

2002MineralGray

Feb 13, 2008
Ok so this is probably a dumb question but here it goes. Im literally in the process as we speak of ordering an SLP Loudmouth I catback system for my 2002 GT. Thanks to some financial crisis I had to put this off until now. I know that with the SLP catback system they make different types of mufflers/resonators that can be swapped out of the cat-back system after it is installed.

But my question is can I just order the resonators and the exhaust tips separate then install them into the stock piping without any issues? This is prolly a dumb question but Ive never done exhaust work on any car Ive owned before. This would be alot cheaper than ordering the whole catback system and I could possibly avoid having problems with rubbing and etc since the stock piping would still be intact. So does anyone know if I can do this?

Thanks alot.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sure the SLP mufflers would fit, but the stock exhaust is welded together, so you'd have to hack it up and re-weld the new mufflers and tips. That being said, many people opt to just weld-in new mufflers and tips for the exact reasons you specified. Another benefit is that you won't have fitment issues if you decide to get a Panhard bar down the road.

I may be overstepping my bounds here, but you might want to consider looking into SLP's Loudmouth II setup instead. I know exhaust is a very subjective thing, but I think the Loudmouth I kit sounds horrible in person.

Ok thanks for the advice bro.:nice: Yeah I know with the LM1s its and either like ir or hate it attitude with most people. I know that they sound really raspy compared to other exhausts but thats why I want to get them. I personally like the raspiness because it reminds me what the real oldschool American muscle cars used to sound like. Most people suggest flowmasters or the LM2s because they are throatier. Which isnt a bad sound in my opinion but for some reason when I hear a really throaty exhaust it makes me think of sports cars like a corvette or a viper. lol.

That being said I know techniqually a modern GT is considered more of an American sports car/ pony car as opposed to the old days when they were considered muscle cars. But I just love the sound of the older cars with cams and the raspy/poppy exhaust. Thus my choice being the LM1s.

My original setup was a MAC o/r h-pipe with the stock Bullitt mufflers and sounded great. I then decided to go with the SLP Loudmouth I with the o/r pipe. I was disappointed to find out that that combo made the car waaay too loud. Like i couldnt even gas it over 3k rpm without fearing getting pulled over. I HAD to reinstall the stock h-pipe and that made a dramatic difference, it made the car sound streetable while maintaining that muscle car sound.

I recommend going with the Loudmouth I only if you are going to use the stock pipe. But if you're running or thinking about running an o/r pipe or catted high flow aftermarket pipe, go with the Loudmouth II. I have heard nothing but good things about the LMIIs, while the LMI's have had mixed reviews. With the o/r pipe, LMIs dont filter out the higher decible notes and really make the car too much to drive around town.

I would not order the LM1s again, I would definately go with the LM2s with either midpipe. Just my .02

Oh and BTW, my exhaust tips came with hangars on them, however the mufflers do not. You'll prolly need to just have the exhaust shop hang them for you

Yeah i don't have ay plans of doing the mid pide in the near future and I heard that they are rediculously loud with an after market mid pipe. Someone on here told me the LM1s sound good witht he stock midpipe. So thats what Im going to do. Thanks for all the info dudes.