stock replacement struts

bhuff30

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2001
Olathe KS
My struts are badly worn out and driving me crazy. The car has 155k miles, so I don't want to spend a whole bunch of money on performance struts. What are some good stock replacements that cost under 100$ each? I don't need expensive performance struts, but I don't want to be stuck with some junky struts that ride like a Cadillac and wear out in 30k miles.

I used to be able to find take offs from 04 GT mustangs, but those seem to have dried up as well, with only the expensive mach 1 Tokicos left.

So recommendations?

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I figured something out...

The struts I'm running now are Tokico illuminas (the 5 way adjustable). I bought them for my 88 about 5 years ago and ran them for a long while, including a bunch of autocross events. When I started driving the 97, it felt a bit soft, so I switched them to the 97. I'm sure these have around 100k miles on them, so it's not surprising that they feel soft.

I took a look at them when I came out for lunch and noticed they are set to 1, the softest setting. I bumped it to 5, the firmest setting and went home for lunch. Driving home, I couldn't beleive the difference. Ahhh, sooo much better. When I got home, I parked and checked to see if it bounces when I push on the nose. Nope, it's nice and steady. When I bounce it, it rises and settles back to the natural position. Much better. Before, it would bounce 2-3 times before settling. Amazing! So I'll keep driving it. :D

great news man, always feels good to save some cash that you thought you had to spend. Thats amazing that the Tokico's are still goin' strong after 100K miles:nice: Do you have the stock springs on them also?

Stock springs. The struts are for a fox body, so it's surprising they are surviving this long on a heavier SN-95. The stuts came with a lifetime warenty and I kept all the paper work. I was kinda hoping I could send everything in and get a new pair of tokicos to sell on ebay. No such luck since they still seem to be working well...

An extra 400$? Nope, I was looking at spending about 100-150$ on the struts and installing them myself. Man, it's like FREE money! wait... :scratch:

As for how to spend the extra money... I didn't tell the wife yet, but I'd like to make a few more passes at the track before they close this year. I'd bump the nitrous shot up a little and see what it does. :nice: Think it'll fly if I just explain I just earned 400$ and this is how I'd like to use a little of it? That's way more important than buying a christmas tree, right?