Strange engine noise

tuhockey11

Apr 7, 2003
PA
Need some help, cant figure this one out. Its not a tick, tap, or knock. More like a very slight thud. Can only hear it at idle and it does go with the rpms. Cant hear it at anything past 1200 or so rpm because its so quiet. I have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and it shows fine. Car also idles and runs fine, just as before. I used the old screwdriver to the ear trick and it yielded nothing substantial. Could hear it a bit through the driver side rocker cover, but hardly anything at all. If anyone has any ideas, Id love to hear them.

• Sponsors (?)

I checked around the driveshaft and exhaust, but everything looks fine. Its definately coming from the front of the car. I also checked to make sure the fan wasnt hitting the shroud, Ive had that happen before. Im hoping to take another look tomorrow, but I dont even know where else to look.

I finally started the car after letting it sit for a couple of days and the noise is not there at all when cold. Only started after about a 10 minute drive. Is there anything that can cause a noise when warm only? Tried to look into it a bit more and cant get a noise from anywhere specific when using a hose or piece of metal to me ear. Sounds like drivers side of the engine bay, what else could it be? I assume if it was engine related I would hear something when listening to the valve cover, oil pan, etc...

Could a bad harmonic balancer cause a noise like this? Asking because while under there today I did notice most of the rubber hanging out the back(ordered a new one today) and after doing a search on another Mustang site a guy hada similar noise he couldnt track down and it went away after replacing the balancer. If anyone has an opinion on this, Id love to hear it

I would still check your motor mounts....a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I had stock motor mounts. I noticed this peculiar thud...occasionally and at weird times. Anyway, I used a pry bar to see if there was any play in the mount. I know it's just a suggestion but I hate to see people get stuck with a problem like this...

I checked the mounts abotu a month ago ad they were shot. I guess Ill go ahead a replace them anyways, along with the balancer and see if that clears it up. It really is a strange noise.....